Only Muslim in an all white college/uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Anyone here experienced this? If so what was it like..the thought of it just sounds pretty daunting but Im hoping it's completely normal😭
abcthe123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I grew up the only white person in a primary school (and pretty much secondary school) surrounded by Muslims.

Get over yourself lmfao.
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kind of. There was me and two other Muslims(secondary school). People who were curious so they asked me some questions about it. Just get To know people!!!

Someone can be white and Muslim btw !!!!
Ellielaw2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anyone here experienced this? If so what was it like..the thought of it just sounds pretty daunting but Im hoping it's completely normal😭
Exactly the same! I moved citys in year 10 so end of secondary & college i was the only brown person. Felt excluded at times lol. Youll get used to it tho dont worry
Anonymous #1
(Original post by abcthe123)
I grew up the only white person in a primary school (and pretty much secondary school) surrounded by Muslims.

Get over yourself lmfao.
I'm not saying I have anything against white ppl I've never been in an environment where I'm the only Muslim person there that's why
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ellielaw2020)
Exactly the same! I moved citys in year 10 so end of secondary & college i was the only brown person. Felt excluded at times lol. Youll get used to it tho dont worry
Ahh what did u feel excluded in if u dnt mind me asking? And how long did it take to get used a different environment
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ساره)
Kind of. There was me and two other Muslims(secondary school). People who were curious so they asked me some questions about it. Just get To know people!!!

Someone can be white and Muslim btw !!!!
Yh I'm aware of that. I'm just scared to get judged a lot tbh or end up alone lol
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
that is nothing i was the only black person in my primary
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
White people can be Muslims how do you know your the only one?
Ellielaw2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ahh what did u feel excluded in if u dnt mind me asking? And how long did it take to get used a different environment
They used to have parties alot the next day theyd talk about it in school etc. It was awkward but i didnt feel sad or anything about it. If i wanted to go I wouldve have but party isnt really my thing.
To be honest it wasnt completely bad its just new people i found that they had really different personalities weird but i cant reallt explain it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by adam271)
White people can be Muslims how do you know your the only one?
arabs are mostly white
Ellielaw2020
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
that is nothing i was the only black person in my primary
Personally i think its harder in secondary college as people are more aware of stereotypes and crap thats on the news.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just be yourself, and you'll be fine.
People will respect you.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ellielaw2020)
Personally i think its harder in secondary college as people are more aware of stereotypes and crap thats on the news.
did you experience that
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Just be yourself, don't plant bombs, and you'll be fine.
People will respect you.
'dont plant bombs' yh thanks thats exacly why I made this thread
Toscana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
well, im assuming your entire personality does not revolve around islam so it shouldnt be a big deal at all
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
'dont plant bombs' yh thanks thats exacly why I made this thread
Well. it's a nice excuse to stop a conversation:
'Sorry guys, it was very nice talking to you, but I have some bombs to plant, they can't wait'

I'm Polish, so I would say 'Sorry, I have some cars to steal, so I must go'
Toscana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Well. it's a nice excuse to stop a conversation:
'Sorry guys, it was very nice talking to you, but I have some bombs to plant, they can't wait'

I'm Polish, so I would say 'Sorry, I have some cars to steal, so I must go'
this guy gets it, its called breaking the ice lol. it shows people you are a lax individual and can take a joke. british humour usually involves mocking others (in a joking manner) so not being sensitive would help you a lot
Last edited by Toscana; 1 month ago
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
I'm not saying I have anything against white ppl I've never been in an environment where I'm the only Muslim person there that's why
Yeah same. That's the whole reason I didn't apply to certain unis, as they were full of white people. I too have nothing against them. The only problem I had to think of was the culture- the way they celebrate/hang out is completely different to my morale such as drinking/partying- I don't do that. That's why it can be difficult to make friends, as you should always ever make the right friends. I also need some sort of advice on this
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah same. That's the whole reason I didn't apply to certain unis, as they were full of white people. I too have nothing against them. The only problem I had to think of was the culture- the way they celebrate/hang out is completely different to my morale such as drinking/partying- I don't do that. That's why it can be difficult to make friends, as you should always ever make the right friends. I also need some sort of advice on this
Can't you just get to a party, and then do double prayings the next day? I've heard drom many Muslims that Allah is forgiving and doesn'tmind if you pay your respects as bit later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads