How can I develop income before I get into med school, and even during med school? Watch

Exdoz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in Year 13 and have applied to medicine. I want to build my own financial stability instead of relying on my family- mostly because I am 18 and need to grow into a man. To be fair I haven't really looked in/understood how student loans work, so maybe that would sort everything out. Does anyone have any ideas ?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
First step is to look into how student loans work, and calculate how much you would get. Also discuss with parents to see how much support if any they are willing and able to give you.

Which universities have you applied to?
Exdoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
First step is to look into how student loans work, and calculate how much you would get. Also discuss with parents to see how much support if any they are willing and able to give you.

Which universities have you applied to?
My parents are very supportive- they will definitely help me. But the problem is I'm 18 and I have to stop relying on them and rely on myself, before I get too dependent on them and struggle in the future.
I don't think the unis I applied to will affect the student loan I receive?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
My parents are very supportive- they will definitely help me. But the problem is I'm 18 and I have to stop relying on them and rely on myself, before I get too dependent on them and struggle in the future.
I don't think the unis I applied to will affect the student loan I receive?
Well, universities in London would increase the size of the loan, and for people from low income families university bursaries vary in size so worth checking both if applicable.

What can be a consideration for the location of the universities is access to part time work. For example I've known a couple of med students at Imperial (I know their parents) who did really well with tutoring. People who can afford to live in South Ken can afford to pay a lot for tutoring!
Exdoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Well, universities in London would increase the size of the loan, and for people from low income families university bursaries vary in size so worth checking both if applicable.

What can be a consideration for the location of the universities is access to part time work. For example I've known a couple of med students at Imperial (I know their parents) who did really well with tutoring. People who can afford to live in South Ken can afford to pay a lot for tutoring!
Yeah that was one of my main ideas, I wanted to tutor A-level students Bio Chem and Maths as I really enjoy it myself, and I believe I am great at teaching. But I don't know how much time I will have during med school and hence don't know which days I can tutor. But, yeah this has been on my mind for a long period of time now. I just have to create a proper schedule to make sure I am getting all my personal things done, as well as giving tuition
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?