Feeling Lonely and worrying about friendships at uni. Watch

lillianrose9911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am half way through my final year at uni and have recently being struggling with loneliness. The end of uni is fast approaching and I am worried about the prospect of ending it with no strong friendships or relationships, I have two main friendship groups but I have recently felt very left out and isolated from them, I am very worried they no longer want a friendship with me which has led to strong feelings of loneliness and isolation. How could I stop this feeling and rebuild these friendships for the future? how can I move forward in this situation?
Last edited by lillianrose9911; 1 month ago
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What have you done about your recent isolation? Drop a message to one of them in the group and ask if they want to go for lunch. Honestly it is exactly as easy as that. It doesn't need to get philosophical if you just take little actions to reduce the distance. You could even reveal you've been feeling down lately due to not seeing anyone, tbh if they're actually your friends they'll reach out to you and meet up or something if you let them know. I don't think it's worth breaking your heart over disinterested people. But first, you need to figure out if they are or not by doing something.
lillianrose9911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Vexper)
What have you done about your recent isolation? Drop a message to one of them in the group and ask if they want to go for lunch. Honestly it is exactly as easy as that. It doesn't need to get philosophical if you just take little actions to reduce the distance. You could even reveal you've been feeling down lately due to not seeing anyone, tbh if they're actually your friends they'll reach out to you and meet up or something if you let them know. I don't think it's worth breaking your heart over disinterested people. But first, you need to figure out if they are or not by doing something.
thank you for your reply. In terms of my recent isolation, I have been trying to keep myself busy to help the loneliness and even have gone back to my home town to escape for a few days. The friendship group in question we used to live together in third and second year but this year we decided to live in two separate houses as there was a lot of us, we had slightly drifted apart but still managed to see each other when we could. however just before Christmas me and the girls went on a night out which was great until we had a druncken falling out which was quite bad, spoke to a couple of the girls straight after but haven't seen them since so I don't really know where I stand. The group have met up since including my housemate but have not invited me but I have met up with other members of the group that weren't on the night out and they seem fine with me. I think its a shame to waste nearly 3 years of friendship but I think they just don't want to be friends with me anymore. Not really sure how to go about it? its also a couple members of the group birthday soon so don't really want to make that awkward for them. let me know your thoughts x
Vexper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lillianrose9911)
thank you for your reply. In terms of my recent isolation, I have been trying to keep myself busy to help the loneliness and even have gone back to my home town to escape for a few days. The friendship group in question we used to live together in third and second year but this year we decided to live in two separate houses as there was a lot of us, we had slightly drifted apart but still managed to see each other when we could. however just before Christmas me and the girls went on a night out which was great until we had a druncken falling out which was quite bad, spoke to a couple of the girls straight after but haven't seen them since so I don't really know where I stand. The group have met up since including my housemate but have not invited me but I have met up with other members of the group that weren't on the night out and they seem fine with me. I think its a shame to waste nearly 3 years of friendship but I think they just don't want to be friends with me anymore. Not really sure how to go about it? its also a couple members of the group birthday soon so don't really want to make that awkward for them. let me know your thoughts x
Might be a good idea to bury the hatchet and apologise? It is a waste of years of friendship to be forgotten over a daft drunken fallout!
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I was going to comment some advice but the advice you have been given is literally better than I could have ever put it. I hope you manage to sort things out, much love x
rcmotorboy
Badges: 17
Report 4 weeks ago
Well that's normal. I think work place is more important and you'll get the friends there. Do keep in touch with your peers you've studied with and see how it goes after you graduate. Will be better friends.
username3459204
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Those 'friends' sound awful and that you're better off without flakes like them anyway.

Lets be honest, this idea of getting friends for life from uni is such a load of s*** because its not true for so many people. So if you do end up leaving uni without a group of pals it ain't the end of the world. We go through life gaining and losing friends, it's just at a busy and stressful time for you right now to experience this and that sucks I know. You got to focus on you and do your best in your third year. Even though these other girls sound a bit rubbish you could do as the other posters have said and try and clear the air a bit with them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads