any tips for driving on bumpy small country roads Watch

Igotbbcalevel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I really struggle driving close to 60mph when everyone else does it fine and even faster. whenever I go over 50mph I just feel not in control especially driving next to a ditch. it scares me. and corners I always over shoot. I drive a small fiat 500 and I swear I got a good few second of air time
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As they say, the speed limit is a limit, not a target; you don't have to do 60. You should make progress, so as not to hold up other drivers too much, and drive the conditions of the road, so it's a balance of going at a speed that feels safe, but not crawling along.
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Country roads are really the sort of roads where "the speed limit is a limit, not a target" isn't a completely silly saying (There's little reason not to be doing the speed limit on a normal, clear road in reasonable or better conditions, the usual exceptions still stand obviously (corners, traffic, road features and furniture, etc...)).

Best I can say is just the usual, generic advice. Drive to the conditions of the road. Some country roads can be handled just fine, even above the speed limit. Some are a bit risky at 60, but can still be handled at speed. Some are just outright suicide to drive quickly on. Some cars handle better than others, just know your car's limits and don't push them.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Slow down... the speed limit is a recommendation. Doing 60 mph down country roads is something we country boys do for a dare when we know every pothole. Even then... some pay the price.
AH-64 APACHE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No surprise a fiat feels flimsy, everyone who owns one seems to see that. I feel comfortable in my Up but it's a super refined car for it's size, I took a super sharp corner in a country road where they expect you to drop from 50mph to 15mph at 40mph in the rain and the car just clung on like a McLaren P1, with no drama at all. When you drive a more planted and solid car you'll probably feel more confortable
Joe Frazier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Country roads are really dangerous. Going a speed you're comfortable with is never a bad idea - remember around every corner there could be cyclists, tractors, pedestrians, horses etc. These roads are often set to the National Speed Limit because it would be too expensive to assess each individual road and decide an appropriate speed limit. Always drive to the conditions of the road and you should be fine.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AH-64 APACHE)
No surprise a fiat feels flimsy, everyone who owns one seems to see that.
PTMalewski would beg to differ.
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just drive at a sensible speed with due care and attention.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So, many people drive faster than is safe on country roads. Don't be worried about following a couple of rules of safe driving, always drive at a speed where you able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear and avoid the need for braking while cornering. Beyond this there is also sense in taking your time and being patient as long as you are not driving ridiculously slowly. Of course following these rules you will regularly find there are reckless fools behind you. Don't worry about this, be aware of them, let them pass when you can. I imagine a fair proportion of them will end up prosecuted and some dead too.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
I really struggle driving close to 60mph when everyone else does it fine and even faster. whenever I go over 50mph I just feel not in control especially driving next to a ditch. it scares me. and corners I always over shoot. I drive a small fiat 500 and I swear I got a good few second of air time
It's just your brain tricking you.
Get a lesson at skid pad with some rally driver. That will give a lot of useful skills and increase your confidence.
Although yes, limit is a limit, not a target. A safe speed can sometimes even be 50% of the limit or less.

(Original post by IWMTom)
PTMalewski would beg to differ.
Yes I would.

No surprise a fiat feels flimsy, everyone who owns one seems to see that. I feel comfortable in my Up but it's a super refined car for it's size, I took a super sharp corner in a country road where they expect you to drop from 50mph to 15mph at 40mph in the rain and the car just clung on like a McLaren P1, with no drama at all. When you drive a more planted and solid car you'll probably feel more confortable

It's just a simple car with McPherson and Torsion bar, just like any other of this size.
You just don't know how to drive and got lucky, plus you have ESP just like any car currently sold

Better take a look at this vid:

https://youtu.be/_T6VGTVTOfk

As you see, there isn't any magical difference between a set of poorly lowered leaf springs, solid axle and welded differential in a 40 years old car welded from pieces after a major accident, and a new Porsche.
Porsche is a bit more stable, but the main difference between the two, is the power output
Last edited by PTMalewski; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Igotbbcalevel)
Drive at a speed where YOU are comfortable - don't be pressured by tailgaters.
AH-64 APACHE
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't try the generic "you don't know how to drive crap." I had no ESC intervention or ropey grip that suggets any sort of luck. Just good tires and VW doing the best they can with what is, yes, I admit, outdated suspension.
TheMcSame
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't try the generic "you don't know how to drive crap." I had no ESC intervention or ropey grip that suggets any sort of luck. Just good tires and VW doing the best they can with what is, yes, I admit, outdated suspension.
He's not wrong if your description is anything to go by... A super sharp corner at 40? I'm either calling bs on the story or bs on the "super sharp" part. Your car isn't an F1 car or an LMP prototype generating tonnes of downforce, you're not taking a 'super sharp' corner at that speed.

A super sharp corner is more like a damn hairpin if anything, which you're certainly not doing at 40 MPH in a standard car

It was probably just a bit sharper than this bend, which isn't what I'd call a super sharp corner...

Spoiler tag to keep the thread neat

Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 month ago
AH-64 APACHE
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
He's not wrong if your description is anything to go by... A super sharp corner at 40? I'm either calling bs on the story or bs on the "super sharp" part. Your car isn't an F1 car or an LMP prototype generating tonnes of downforce, you're not taking a 'super sharp' corner at that speed.

A super sharp corner is more like a damn hairpin if anything, which you're certainly not doing at 40 MPH in a standard car

It was probably just a bit sharper than this bend, which isn't what I'd call a super sharp corner...

Spoiler tag to keep the thread neat

Spoiler:
Show
It was this particular corner, hardly the nurburgring but sharp enough to warrent sineage and a lowered speed limit, also considering the rain yesterday as well

Name:  Screenshot_20200119-100840_Maps-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  88.6 KB
I should also mention it gets a bit sharper aa you go further round. Goind around it that quickly isn't something I want to try again.
Last edited by AH-64 APACHE; 1 month ago
Talon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I drive over these sorts of roads every day, and even I tend to go at 50 max unless it is a long straight bit of road. Even if you are confident in your own control of the car, you never know what is going come round the corner. It could be a massive tractor!
williamho
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
the other cars have better suspension set up with new dampers, coil springs etc, and even air suspension Such as Mercedes etc

i would suggest only drive at speed that you are comfortable with. And do not try to kill yourself following other drivers break neck speed

you cannot match the other cars because it is maybe their cars are newer and nicer, and even sporty Such as a Golf GTI or Porsche 911 turbo .
Jess.1819
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You get used to it, if you know the road and visibility is good then I don’t see the problem doing the speed limit.

I do 60 on a road I used to hate going more than 40 on when I was learning, you learn what you can and can’t do safely, I still slow down when you get to a patch with bends but I know what I and my car can handle in different conditions now, you just gotta be careful until you know what’s best for each situation and again when encountering something new even if that’s just rain on a road you’ve only ever driven on when it’s dry.

Also depends on your car, some will handle it better, little fiat 500’s aren’t really built for it, they’re city cars so they’re obviously not going to be as easy to control in those conditions.
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends on what you mean by country roads, really.
I've done 60 on some country A/B roads, in a fiat 500 with no problems, but obviously on the straight parts in good conditions.
A small country lane however, I'd do max 40
biggyK
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don’t go above 4th, drive sensible and **** everyone behind you.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by biggyK)
Don’t go above 4th, drive sensible and **** everyone behind you.
Do you enjoy punishing your car or something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (484)
59.53%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.29%
No- I want it (232)
28.54%
No- I don't want it (54)
6.64%

Watched Threads