The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computer science: Oxbridge or Imperial

This is a random question that’s interested me. A lot of people who got rejected from oxbridge in my school had offers from Imperial for computer science. Both universities have different statistics that would suggest their superiority. Imperial has a ridiculous starting salary but this can be explained by its location whereas Oxford has a more competitive admissions (marginally tho) but again competiton doesn’t necessarily equate to a better department. So really and truly which is better, imperial or oxbridge for computer science?
(As clarification I’m not applying for compsci, just interested to hear opinions)
Iirc Oxford CompSci has the highest median salary of any course at any UK uni. Also worth noting that the 13:1 admissions ratio for Imperial CompSci will include people who choose to go to other unis (including Oxford and Cambridge), whereas most people who get Oxford offers firm them. Ultimately though, it depends on your preference re city etc
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Personally I think they have different approaches to the subject. From what I can gather from their websites, Oxford seems to care more about the theoretic fundamentals of computer science, while IC and Cambridge leans towards the applicative side, with a greater emphasis on programming, etc. I don't know everything about their respective research opportunities, resources, course quality, but considering it's those three we're talking about, they are obviously all outstanding at the undergrad level... For me the choice depended on the which approach I liked better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending