Would you rather die from complications from surgery battling cancer Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Or not do anything about it and let it get worse to the point where you eventually die later on?
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Or not do anything about it and let it get worse to the point where you eventually die later on?
It would depend a hell of a lot on the specific situation like what potential the surgery has to help and things, but I've always been more on the side of acting. I can totally respect why some people would choose to not to take the risks and would prefer to go with the devil they know, but for me as long as the chances of a good outcome are reasonable I've always been enclined to take the risk. But like I said it would depend so much on the specific situation and there are times I wouldn't take the risk.

At the end of the day I think that's a choice everybody had to make for themselves. If you're dealing with a choice like that yourself you might find it helps to talk it through with someone. I think macmillan have support services for this sort of thing or you could also ask GP or whoever manages your care to help set you up with somebody to talk to. It probably sounds pretty cold, but ultimately it comes down to pros and cons just like anything else in life. You need to think about what you personally have to gain and what you have to loose and what matters most out of all of that. For some people it's the chance at extra time with family, for some it's comfort, for some it's having a level of preguctability and ability to prepare. It's all individual to each person and I think that's where having an impartial person to talk things through with can really help.
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes I would, if there was a chance my life could be prolonged by surgery, I would certainly take the risk.
The other option is you just give in and eventually die.
It's a no brainer for me I'm afraid.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Realistically, I think it depends on the type of cancer and likely success of treatment. If the chances were good (at least 50% cure), I would go for surgery (or chemo or whatever the options were). If the treatment would only give me a few extra months, I don't think I would.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.67%
No (266)
33.33%

Watched Threads