RAF girlfriend Watch

Shanharry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I’ve been talking to this boy for around a month now & ive never clicked with someone like it, were both really happy with the way it’s going & taking it slow. BUT then he went on to tell me that he’s starting his training in the RAF 😫 I didn’t really know too much about it... not sure if I could cope not seeing him for 6months-1year. Can someone please educate me on how often he’s going to leave & the time spent away? Do I carry on or cut it off before we get too deep into it? I won’t be selfish with it and I’d love to stand by him which wouldn’t be a problem, it’s just the distance I feel it’d mess with my head. I read that they can go away for years😫😫😫 please can someone put my mind at rest !
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's an Armed Forces sub-forum (under Careers and Jobs) where you'll find similar threads.

However, I'm ex-RAF and can say that plenty of people manage an LDR with someone in the Forces. You even have couples where one lives in their own accommodation while the one in the military lives on base elsewhere and commutes when possible. What will happen depends on which job this boy is going for; do you know? Ask him more about it. The first lot of training he does will have limited communications and time off, but once he's learning his actual job it's much more relaxed and he will have weekends free. Everything else - where he ends up working, how long he spends on each RAF base before moving elsewhere, how long he could go away for - depends on the job. He won't be 'away' for years, but could be in a post that is a long way from you for a few years. There's phone, wi-fi, so things like Skype to keep in touch. Find out more from him before making a decision.
Shanharry
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Surnia)
There's an Armed Forces sub-forum (under Careers and Jobs) where you'll find similar threads.

However, I'm ex-RAF and can say that plenty of people manage an LDR with someone in the Forces. You even have couples where one lives in their own accommodation while the one in the military lives on base elsewhere and commutes when possible. What will happen depends on which job this boy is going for; do you know? Ask him more about it. The first lot of training he does will have limited communications and time off, but once he's learning his actual job it's much more relaxed and he will have weekends free. Everything else - where he ends up working, how long he spends on each RAF base before moving elsewhere, how long he could go away for - depends on the job. He won't be 'away' for years, but could be in a post that is a long way from you for a few years. There's phone, wi-fi, so things like Skype to keep in touch. Find out more from him before making a decision.
Hi thanks for replying. I don’t want to sound like I’m upset he’s going incase he feels bad... but I’ve been trying to ask here and there. He said he’s going in the ranks ? I don’t have a clue what that means
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Shanharry)
Hi thanks for replying. I don’t want to sound like I’m upset he’s going incase he feels bad... but I’ve been trying to ask here and there. He said he’s going in the ranks ? I don’t have a clue what that means
That means he's joining as an airman, not a commissioned officer, but as what? Aircraft Technician, Regiment, Medic, which job specifically?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (532)
66.75%
No (265)
33.25%

Watched Threads