Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a current CMT2 this year and was wondering how feasible it is to switch specialties once I have a training number. I am planning to apply to cardiology in the upcoming cycle, and will also be applying to acute medicine as a back up (due to the competetiveness of cardiology). If I don't get a cardiology post this year but do ST3 acute medicine for 1 year, and successfully reapply to cardiology can I use that year to count for training even if I drop acute med? Thanks in advance.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a current CMT2 this year and was wondering how feasible it is to switch specialties once I have a training number. I am planning to apply to cardiology in the upcoming cycle, and will also be applying to acute medicine as a back up (due to the competetiveness of cardiology). If I don't get a cardiology post this year but do ST3 acute medicine for 1 year, and successfully reapply to cardiology can I use that year to count for training even if I drop acute med? Thanks in advance.
Cardiology isn't all that competitive really. Although it does depend on location.

There are circumstances where you can get prior training to count toward training in another speciality, but I don't think you'll get away with this one. Cardiology training is notoriously short as it is - its really hard for them to pack in the all of the surgical/practical side and the medical/theoretical side already, without making it even shorter. You can ask, but I wouldn't be hopeful.

You will also be considered ST3 for pay purposes, unlike under the old contract.

One thing though... have you factored in that cardiology is a group 1 speciality i.e. will require IMT3 now? You might potentially run into issues if you are applying to cardiology later down the line.
fishfacesimpson
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My personal advice for people who are set on a speciality is not to bother with back up options. If you don't get the job you want look for a clinical Fellow post in the same field. Even competitive specialities have them because they don't get the funding for numbers they need. Doing something else for 6 months, re applying and giving up your number is not the best look and you also potentially deprive yourself of experience in your chosen speciality anyway

I don't know if you'd be able to count anything from a year of st3 towards the GIM component of cardiology. Normally it has to be requested prospectively so I doubt it
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fishfacesimpson)
My personal advice for people who are set on a speciality is not to bother with back up options. If you don't get the job you want look for a clinical Fellow post in the same field. Even competitive specialities have them because they don't get the funding for numbers they need. Doing something else for 6 months, re applying and giving up your number is not the best look and you also potentially deprive yourself of experience in your chosen speciality anyway

I don't know if you'd be able to count anything from a year of st3 towards the GIM component of cardiology. Normally it has to be requested prospectively so I doubt it
Yeah in the modern environment I'd agree with that. There are so many non-training/locum opportunities these days that its easily a viable option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (274)
61.02%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.9%