?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Yh it’s 6 sec
m.aurelius
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I keep the wrong answer sorry (5 seconds total but 2 seconds further elapsed). I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I worked out point B by calculating displacement (s=ut + 0.5at^2) and then doing the same equation but now working out t with (14i-2j) for my initial velocity.
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by m.aurelius)
I keep the wrong answer sorry (5 seconds total but 2 seconds further elapsed). I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I worked out point B by calculating displacement (s=ut + 0.5at^2) and then doing the same equation but now working out t with (14i-2j) for my initial velocity.
(Original post by curlyyy)
Yh it’s 6 sec
What is the relative position of B compared to A (j component)?
Use
s = (u+v)*t/2
Then its moving with a constant velocity in the j direction of -2ms^-1 so how much time will elapse before its brought back to zero.
curlyyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Use
s = (u+v)*t/2
Then its moving with a constant velocity in the j direction of -2ms^-1 so how much time will elapse before its brought back to zero.
Ohh! I think I got it:

The relative position of B compared to A is 28.5i + 12j
So then using r=r0+vt, and looking only at j components:
r=0
r0=12
v=-2
so t=6

That took me ages, thank you so much both, really appreciate your help
Also, do you usually do all the qs in the book or topic questions from past papers? and do you know where to get topic questions for maths Edexcel?
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohh! I think I got it:

r=0
r0=12
v=-2
so t=6

That took me ages, thank you so much both, really appreciate your help
Also, do you usually do all the qs in the book or topic questions from past papers? and do you know where to get topic questions for maths Edexcel?
Generally for questions:
mathsgenie
physics and maths tutor
dr frost maths
m.aurelius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ohh! I think I got it:

r=0
r0=12
v=-2
so t=6
Sorry, what equation did you use there? Is r0 your j displacement? And what’s r? I got the relative position of B but didn’t know what equation to use after that.
curlyyy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
(Original post by m.aurelius)
Sorry, what equation did you use there? Is r0 your j displacement? And what’s r? I got the relative position of B but didn’t know what equation to use after that.
I used r=r0+vt where r is the position vector when it's due east to A, so when the j component is 0. r0 is the initial position vector so when it hits point B, I sort of thought of it like A is the origin so B in relation to A is 28.5i + 12j, so r0 would be 28.5i + 12j. Then v is velocity of B, and t, time.
Then, I only compared the j components to get the time.
Have you seen that equation before? It's ch8 in the stats and mechanics book (if you do edexcel). I only know it bc I did this last year and am resitting, so it may be that you're teacher hasn't covered it yet at school.
m.aurelius
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I used r=r0+vt where r is the position vector when it's due east to A, so when the j component is 0. r0 is the initial position vector so when it hits point B, I sort of thought of it like A is the origin so B in relation to A is 28.5i + 12j, so r0 would be 28.5i + 12j. Then v is velocity of B, and t, time.
Then, I only compared the j components to get the time.
Have you seen that equation before? It's ch8 in the stats and mechanics book (if you do edexcel). I only know it bc I did this last year and am resitting, so it may be that you're teacher hasn't covered it yet at school.
Hm I don’t think I’ve seen that before? I do ocr so maybe I just haven’t covered that yet. Thanks for the explanation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (160)
66.67%
No (80)
33.33%

Watched Threads