Food allergy discrimination? Watch

Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just wanted to hear people’s point of view on this issue.
I have coeliac disease so have to follow a strict gluten free diet. I’ve been diagnosed for just over 18months and I’ve noticed how expensive gluten free food is, but also all free from food in general. Thankfully the price of pasta and bread is now more manageable (but still more expensive than the gluten containing version).
But I’ve been thinking, clothes stores are not allowed to up the price of clothes for bigger sizes as it’s seen as discriminatory for those of a larger weight, and it’s only fair if someone can buy a size 18 for the price of an 8. Yet there appears to be nothing at all in place for people with food allergies. We don’t choose to live this way.

Before you say you can get gluten free food on prescription, you can’t anymore. Most health boards don’t allow it anymore and the health board I’m in doesn’t.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
I just wanted to hear people’s point of view on this issue.
I have coeliac disease so have to follow a strict gluten free diet. I’ve been diagnosed for just over 18months and I’ve noticed how expensive gluten free food is, but also all free from food in general. Thankfully the price of pasta and bread is now more manageable (but still more expensive than the gluten containing version).
But I’ve been thinking, clothes stores are not allowed to up the price of clothes for bigger sizes as it’s seen as discriminatory for those of a larger weight, and it’s only fair if someone can buy a size 18 for the price of an 8. Yet there appears to be nothing at all in place for people with food allergies. We don’t choose to live this way.

Before you say you can get gluten free food on prescription, you can’t anymore. Most health boards don’t allow it anymore and the health board I’m in doesn’t.
I agree with you but don't agree with the clothes ones most people choose to be obese (unlike you with your allergy) plus it takes more fabric to make a size 18 shirt than a size 8 one... soo unfair how we are spending £6bn a year on obesity when there are people like you right now going through hardships...
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
I agree with you but don't agree with the clothes ones most people choose to be obese (unlike you with your allergy) plus it takes more fabric to make a size 18 shirt than a size 8 one... soo unfair how we are spending £6bn a year on obesity when there are people like you right now going through hardships...
How does someone with a gluten free diet become obese? Are you telling a few porkies?
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
How does someone with a gluten free diet become obese? Are you telling a few porkies?
no, I mean that obesity is a choice (or can at least be avoided in most circumstances) being gluten-free isn't and cannot be avoided (I'm on the OP's side)
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
The same way someone on a normal diet does
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would think it reflects the higher expense of the gluten free /vegan items etc compared to the regular versions.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I suspect that gluten free food may be harder to make, so I can see why it is might be more expensive. But equally, I do think that bigger clothes sizes should cost more - shops charge more for older kids clothes, so why not charge more for bigger adult sizes too?
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
no, I mean that obesity is a choice (or can at least be avoided in most circumstances) being gluten-free isn't and cannot be avoided (I'm on the OP's side)
Yay... obesity can be avoided, Admission is the first stage. I eat too much!
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wasn’t fat shaming. I was just pointing out that there is a consumer law that means that larger clothes sizes have to be the same price as smaller ones so to avoid discrimination, yet the government are happy that people with food allergies are exploited and discriminated against every time we go shopping.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (431)
58.64%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.44%
No- I want it (214)
29.12%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.8%

Watched Threads