The Student Room Group

Which textbook should I trust? Chemistry

I have two textbooks and I'm doing A level AQA chemistry. I have the big CGP Chemsitry textbook and the AQA approved textbook but the CGP one doesn't have some details such as the shapes of orbitals, yet it doesn't say anything about this in the specification. Which one should I trust?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Mad Man
I have two textbooks and I'm doing A level AQA chemistry. I have the big CGP Chemsitry textbook and the AQA approved textbook but the CGP one doesn't have some details such as the shapes of orbitals, yet it doesn't say anything about this in the specification. Which one should I trust?

i dont do chemistry but i presume if its not in the spec then you dont need it.
Reply 3
Original post by Kialo29
i dont do chemistry but i presume if its not in the spec then you ?dont need it.

So should I use the CGP one instead for making my proper notes?
Reply 4
Original post by Mad Man
So should I use the CGP one instead for making my proper notes?

thats what i do for my sciences (im only gcse though) im actually doing that right now. i use cgp book to make condensed notes.
Use AQA's own textbooks. From what I've seen they are much better than CGP. Also for the maths side there's absolutely nothing to touch Jim Clark's "Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry". Teachers who don't recommend this book should be taken out and shot!

By the way, making notes is usually a waste of time. Doing questions is by far the best way to consolidate ones knowledge. This is what recent research seems to suggest.
Reply 6
Original post by David Getling
Use AQA's own textbooks. From what I've seen they are much better than CGP. Also for the maths side there's absolutely nothing to touch Jim Clark's "Calculations in AS/A Level Chemistry". Teachers who don't recommend this book should be taken out and shot!

By the way, making notes is usually a waste of time. Doing questions is by far the best way to consolidate ones knowledge. This is what recent research seems to suggest.

well I'm using a process called active recall and I'm creating questions for every part of the book, so I can test myself afterwards.

Quick Reply

Latest