You would be better off posting this in the society forum
AhmedAMajeed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ajajakaka)
Being straight isn’t the default. It’s just more common
This is wrong, there is no (according to recent research) "default" position, or any position, as sexuality is not solely determined by genetics - it develops with environmental exposure. The positions we currently hold are still very open to new information, but what is known is that sexuality is only partially biologically determined at most.
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
But I'm feeling obnoxious today so I'll say, they weren't born anything.
AhmedAMajeed
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
Not obnoxious at all, it's the most scientifically supported position.
A) No driving sexual force exists at birth.
B) Recent research suggests a maximum of "25% contribution" of heredity towards development of homosexuality - of course the report was made PC and had huge LGBTQ input (not so scientific) to please them. So the conclusions made on the terms of the LGBTQ community refuted the long-held myth that one is "born gay or straight".
aciana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So you weren't born straight? Given another situation where homosexuality was seen as the most positive, then you would just as likely be gay?
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AhmedAMajeed)
Not obnoxious at all, it's the most scientifically supported position.
A) No driving sexual force exists at birth.
B) Recent research suggests a maximum of "25% contribution" of heredity towards development of homosexuality - of course the report was made PC and had huge LGBTQ input (not so scientific) to please them. So the conclusions made on the terms of the LGBTQ community refuted the long-held myth that one is "born gay or straight".
Yeah well thanks for this tidbit. I personally don't think it's scientific at all. Homosexuality can't be studied under a microscope. No idea why people come up with theories that suggest you can. 😂
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by aciana)
So you weren't born straight?
No. I was not born straight and don't even try to tell me what I was born as. We were born naked and covered in placenta.
AhmedAMajeed
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah well thanks for this tidbit. I personally don't think it's scientific at all. Homosexuality can't be studied under a microscope. No idea why people come up with theories that suggest you can. 😂
Everything has been made empirical and objective these days . But on a serious note, it appears the very same people who try to use science to justify particular ideas are the first to refute it when it doesn't suit them.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No driving sexual force exists at birth.
Not everything is about sex. When I was in year 5 I didn't want to have sex with my female crush, but I liked her and wanted to hold her hand. That's all that young people think about when they have a crush on people and that can be of any gender.
Ajajakaka
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is wrong, there is no (according to recent research) "default" position, or any position, as sexuality is not solely determined by genetics - it develops with environmental exposure. The positions we currently hold are still very open to new information, but what is known is that sexuality is only partially biologically determined at most.
I know. That is what I meant
AhmedAMajeed
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Not everything is about sex. When I was in year 5 I didn't want to have sex with my female crush, but I liked her and wanted to hold her hand. That's all that young people think about when they have a crush on people and that can be of any gender.
Not trying to be antagonistic, but what do people in year 5 and babies have in common? No problem with you liking people, but considering your point sounds like a refutation, I just want to know the connection and relevance of your statement to what I said.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what do people in year 5 and babies have in common
they don't care about sex
AhmedAMajeed
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
they don't care about sex
Okay, we've established that. What I meant to ask, perhaps, is what differentiates a homosexual from a heterosexual aside from sexual preference? Because that probably is your grievance with what I'm saying.

The fact remains, no-one is born a homosexual, or heterosexual - the differentiation in sexual preference comes as a result of interaction with the environment (with a partial genetic component).
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Okay, we've established that. What I meant to ask, perhaps, is what differentiates a homosexual from a heterosexual aside from sexual preference? Because that probably is your grievance with what I'm saying.

The fact remains, no-one is born a homosexual, or heterosexual - the differentiation in sexual preference comes as a result of interaction with the environment (with a partial genetic component).
Jesus - a year five boy can like a year five boy. That's homosexual but it has nothing to do with sex.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Jesus - a year five boy can like a year five boy. That's homosexual but it has nothing to do with sex.
I don't think they're getting it.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
I don't think they're getting it.
Doubt it :lol:
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I dunno. There have been lots of studies comparing identical and non-identical twins where it is possible to isolate genetics. Turns out much of our behaviour has its roots in genetics. Certainly more than some might have speculated. That said, I agree that other have suggested sexuality isn't 100% genetic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (43)
24.29%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
27.12%
No (86)
48.59%

Watched Threads