I don’t know which Uni course i want to do Watch

DPat1210
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in the first year of college and since the seconds years have all just finished their ucas applications ad stuff the college is now turning to us to get us to start thinking about which universities offer the courses we want. I however don’t know whether i want to go into Geology or Physics. I am enjoying both at A-Level and I don’t know which path i want to take afterwards, which is making it difficult to apply to stuff which will boost my personal statement. How can I narrow down which subject i want to continue with?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DPat1210)
I’m in the first year of college and since the seconds years have all just finished their ucas applications ad stuff the college is now turning to us to get us to start thinking about which universities offer the courses we want. I however don’t know whether i want to go into Geology or Physics. I am enjoying both at A-Level and I don’t know which path i want to take afterwards, which is making it difficult to apply to stuff which will boost my personal statement. How can I narrow down which subject i want to continue with?
A good way to narrow down is to look at the modules at universities you're interested in, compare for both subjects and see which one appeals to you the most. Perhaps try to find some lectures on YouTube on both subjects, or attend public lectures at nearby universities.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What grades are you targeting? Have you looked at geophysics degrees?
.unknown
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What a levels are you doing?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lots of useful advice on TSR.

* How to choose a Uni subject : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...-what-to-study

* How to avoid 5 Uni rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I however don’t know whether i want to go into Geology or Physics.
Why not both? Geophysics is a thing!
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Go on open days and attend talks on each subject. Possibly Geophysics as well. Are you taking A level Maths as that might influence your decision. There is no hurry to make a decision now. Unless you are applying to Oxbridge the equal consideration is nearly a year away.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Why not both? Geophysics is a thing!
I think the OP is in the North East - any advice on courses? Durham and Leeds spring to mind.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are lots of things you could go into, I suggest you look at earth sciences/ geology/ geophysics if you’re enjoying both of those a levels look at module options on university websites, you can look at open days, sample lectures on you tube or during open days, or even reading “A short introduction into geophysics” and see if it interests you. Unless you’re thinking of Earth sciences or natural sciences at Oxbridge, 2020 is the perfect time to start reading and looking into things you are interested in. You have lots of time, don’t worry.

Book link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geophysics-.../dp/0198792956
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you’re from the NE then going to open days at Edinburgh is a great idea, they have lots of faculties and departments with subject lectures. The course I originally was going to apply to was environmental geoscience.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was dead-set on engineering until about 4 months before I applied, when I then changed to physics. The stuff I mentioned on my personal statement were two books that I read in a hurry over that summer and an extra-curricular club I'd done the previous years.
Take your time choosing and make sure it's something that you would want to continue learning more about for 3-4 years. Really look into what you actually do in the course - it's more than just the names of the modules.

(Original post by ajj2000)
I think the OP is in the North East - any advice on courses? Durham and Leeds spring to mind.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It doesn't necessarily have to be in the north-east if it's uni though?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
I was dead-set on engineering until about 4 months before I applied, when I then changed to physics. The stuff I mentioned on my personal statement were two books that I read in a hurry over that summer and an extra-curricular club I'd done the previous years.
Take your time choosing and make sure it's something that you would want to continue learning more about for 3-4 years. Really look into what you actually do in the course - it's more than just the names of the modules.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It doesn't necessarily have to be in the north-east if it's uni though?
Very true - although they did ask about Durham as a local university on another threat. If grades are high enough both imperial and Edinburgh have good bursaries if from a low income household which is worth considering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?