nafis lubdn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I would like to study engineering at Oxbridge university however I feel my low English grades will limit my chances of being admitted.Besides, Ive done considerably well in other subjects listed below
Maths:8
Physics :8
Chemistry :9
Biology :7
Art: 7
geography: 8
Religious studies: 9
French: 5
English Language: 5
English literature: 6
I’ve done an English language resit during my AS,yet I still again received a 5.
Does low English grades and language affect my chances of going top university? I’ve heard you need a 6 to get in imperial ac etc.
nafis lubdn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by kelvin1011)
I don't believe you have a high chance of being considered to Oxbridge since they generally tend to lean towards a minimum of at least 10 GCSE's (From memory as head of the sixth form told me) to even be considered an applicant that would not even be definitely offered a place.

I mean does it really matter, Oxbridge aren't the only universities that can offer you a good education out there!
You mean 10A*s/A’s?
kelvin1011
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, sorry must have left that out.

It still doesn't hurt to apply though!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by nafis lubdn)
Hi, I would like to study engineering at Oxbridge university however I feel my low English grades will limit my chances of being admitted.Besides, Ive done considerably well in other subjects listed below
Maths:8
Physics :8
Chemistry :9
Biology :7
Art: 7
geography: 8
Religious studies: 9
French: 5
English Language: 5
English literature: 6
I’ve done an English language resit during my AS,yet I still again received a 5.
Does low English grades and language affect my chances of going top university? I’ve heard you need a 6 to get in imperial ac etc.
Cambridge and Oxford have no minimum English Language GCSE requirement for home students.

And your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge or Oxford.
Oxford uses PAT more than your GCSE grades.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't believe you have a high chance of being considered to Oxbridge since they generally tend to lean towards a minimum of at least 10 GCSE's (From memory as head of the sixth form told me) to even be considered an applicant that would not even be definitely offered a place.

I mean does it really matter, Oxbridge aren't the only universities that can offer you a good education out there!
just isn't true. they recognise that the number of GCSEs someone takes is generally not their choice.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, sorry must have left that out.

It still doesn't hurt to apply though!
I'm afraid that kelvin1011 doesn't know what he's talking about. Doones does, especially with regard to Cambridge.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't be afraid of applying if you didn't achieve the best grades in subjects on the opposite end of the spectrum at GCSE level. Your grades in maths and sciences are excellent, which you should be proud of. I watched a video with a student at the university of Cambridge interviewing her college master, and the master's biggest advice was to not be put off applying if you didn't score highly in GCSE's non-related to the subjects you want to study at a level. Funnily enough her example was if you're applying for physics, don't be put off with low scores in English GCSE.

Point I'm saying is, yes the majority of Oxbridge applicants will gave All A*/8/9 at GCSE (as I did and was still rejected) so it's not a huge deal. The most important parts of the application of the admissions process is the entrance exam and the interview, both areas in which I think I didn't perform so well. You don't lose anything by applying, so I suggest you do and see where it takes you.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Don't be afraid of applying if you didn't achieve the best grades in subjects on the opposite end of the spectrum at GCSE level. Your grades in maths and sciences are excellent, which you should be proud of. I watched a video with a student at the university of Cambridge interviewing her college master, and the master's biggest advice was to not be put off applying if you didn't score highly in GCSE's non-related to the subjects you want to study at a level. Funnily enough her example was if you're applying for physics, don't be put off with low scores in English GCSE.

Point I'm saying is, yes the majority of Oxbridge applicants will gave All A*/8/9 at GCSE (as I did and was still rejected) so it's not a huge deal. The most important parts of the application of the admissions process is the entrance exam and the interview, both areas in which I think I didn't perform so well. You don't lose anything by applying, so I suggest you do and see where it takes you.
don't think it's anywhere near the majority, particularly at cambridge where GCSEs seem to form a lesser part of the admissions process.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
don't think it's anywhere near the majority, particularly at cambridge where GCSEs seem to form a lesser part of the admissions process.
Really? That would surprise me.
Last edited by Deggs_14; 3 weeks ago
Student101A
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
the majority of students at Cambridge will have all 8/9s at GCSE, i believe they have stated this before in regards to the competitiveness of their courses but i may be wrong, however OP definitely stands a chance as i believe those who perform this well at GCSE are likely to have the academic capacity and healthy study habits that lead to them achieving the required grades at A level and its the qualities of the people doing good at GCSE that get in not the GCSEs themselves
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _gcx)
yes, iirc the average number of A* or equivalent is 5 or 6 at Cambridge. And, as you've said, that's not a requirement just an average.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Deggs_14)
Really? That would surprise me.
Tis true. See my post above.

(Original post by Student101A)
the majority of students at Cambridge will have all 8/9s at GCSE, i believe they have stated this before in regards to the competitiveness of their courses but i may be wrong, however OP definitely stands a chance as i believe those who perform this well at GCSE are likely to have the academic capacity and healthy study habits that lead to them achieving the required grades at A level and its the qualities of the people doing good at GCSE that get in not the GCSEs themselves
Nope.

Indeed having "less good" GCSEs followed by excellent AS-Levels is a sign of a "healthy" upward academic trajectory. Cambridge is very happy to see that.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Doones)
yes, iirc the average number of A* or equivalent is 5 or 6 at Cambridge. And, as you've said, that's not a requirement just an average.
i would think since the 8 grade encompasses the top end of the old A too that the avg number of grades 8+ will be a bit higher, but this is about what you'd expect.
rwhitaker1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
At Oxford interviews, I met a girl who had a 4 in one unrelated subject and some 5s and 6s for others. I don't think she ultimately got in, but she was at interview, so they clearly thought she was capable. Don't let it hold you back. You won't know until you try!
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rwhitaker1)
At Oxford interviews, I met a girl who had a 4 in one unrelated subject and some 5s and 6s for others. I don't think she ultimately got in, but she was at interview, so they clearly thought she was capable. Don't let it hold you back. You won't know until you try!
Yeah I think it's often more the case that people with high GCSE results are more likely to be able enough to try for Oxbridge, rather than Oxbridge requiring high GCSEs.
rachaellouwhite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got an offer, and the highest grades I got were two 8’s - of course you can!
Student101A
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Tis true. See my post above.

Nope.

Indeed having "less good" GCSEs followed by excellent AS-Levels is a sign of a "healthy" upward academic trajectory. Cambridge is very happy to see that.
i didn't say they wouldn't be happy with it, was pointing out that often those that excel at gcse also do so at A level and its not the gcses gaining them a place at Cambridge but just a correlation that those who achieve such grades at gcse often perform to the standard that Cambridge look for at AS and A2
Student101A
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
oops, basically just what _gcx said
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Student101A)
i didn't say they wouldn't be happy with it, was pointing out that often those that excel at gcse also do so at A level and its not the gcses gaining them a place at Cambridge but just a correlation that those who achieve such grades at gcse often perform to the standard that Cambridge look for at AS and A2
But the majority do not have "all 8/9s at GCSE".
Student101A
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But the majority do not have "all 8/9s at GCSE".
do you have any data for this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?