The Student Room Group

Oxbridge with bad English GCSE?

Hi, I would like to study engineering at Oxbridge university however I feel my low English grades will limit my chances of being admitted.Besides, Ive done considerably well in other subjects listed below
Maths:8
Physics :8
Chemistry :9
Biology :7
Art: 7
geography: 8
Religious studies: 9
French: 5
English Language: 5
English literature: 6
I’ve done an English language resit during my AS,yet I still again received a 5.
Does low English grades and language affect my chances of going top university? I’ve heard you need a 6 to get in imperial ac etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kelvin1011
I don't believe you have a high chance of being considered to Oxbridge since they generally tend to lean towards a minimum of at least 10 GCSE's (From memory as head of the sixth form told me) to even be considered an applicant that would not even be definitely offered a place.

I mean does it really matter, Oxbridge aren't the only universities that can offer you a good education out there!

You mean 10A*s/A’s?
Yes, sorry must have left that out.

It still doesn't hurt to apply though!
Reply 3
Original post by nafis lubdn
Hi, I would like to study engineering at Oxbridge university however I feel my low English grades will limit my chances of being admitted.Besides, Ive done considerably well in other subjects listed below
Maths:8
Physics :8
Chemistry :9
Biology :7
Art: 7
geography: 8
Religious studies: 9
French: 5
English Language: 5
English literature: 6
I’ve done an English language resit during my AS,yet I still again received a 5.
Does low English grades and language affect my chances of going top university? I’ve heard you need a 6 to get in imperial ac etc.

Cambridge and Oxford have no minimum English Language GCSE requirement for home students.

And your GCSEs are fine for Cambridge or Oxford.
Oxford uses PAT more than your GCSE grades.
I don't believe you have a high chance of being considered to Oxbridge since they generally tend to lean towards a minimum of at least 10 GCSE's (From memory as head of the sixth form told me) to even be considered an applicant that would not even be definitely offered a place.

I mean does it really matter, Oxbridge aren't the only universities that can offer you a good education out there!

just isn't true. they recognise that the number of GCSEs someone takes is generally not their choice.
Yes, sorry must have left that out.

It still doesn't hurt to apply though!

I'm afraid that kelvin1011 doesn't know what he's talking about. @Doones does, especially with regard to Cambridge.
Reply 6
Don't be afraid of applying if you didn't achieve the best grades in subjects on the opposite end of the spectrum at GCSE level. Your grades in maths and sciences are excellent, which you should be proud of. I watched a video with a student at the university of Cambridge interviewing her college master, and the master's biggest advice was to not be put off applying if you didn't score highly in GCSE's non-related to the subjects you want to study at a level. Funnily enough her example was if you're applying for physics, don't be put off with low scores in English GCSE.

Point I'm saying is, yes the majority of Oxbridge applicants will gave All A*/8/9 at GCSE (as I did and was still rejected) so it's not a huge deal. The most important parts of the application of the admissions process is the entrance exam and the interview, both areas in which I think I didn't perform so well. You don't lose anything by applying, so I suggest you do and see where it takes you. :smile:
Original post by Deggs_14
Don't be afraid of applying if you didn't achieve the best grades in subjects on the opposite end of the spectrum at GCSE level. Your grades in maths and sciences are excellent, which you should be proud of. I watched a video with a student at the university of Cambridge interviewing her college master, and the master's biggest advice was to not be put off applying if you didn't score highly in GCSE's non-related to the subjects you want to study at a level. Funnily enough her example was if you're applying for physics, don't be put off with low scores in English GCSE.

Point I'm saying is, yes the majority of Oxbridge applicants will gave All A*/8/9 at GCSE (as I did and was still rejected) so it's not a huge deal. The most important parts of the application of the admissions process is the entrance exam and the interview, both areas in which I think I didn't perform so well. You don't lose anything by applying, so I suggest you do and see where it takes you. :smile:

don't think it's anywhere near the majority, particularly at cambridge where GCSEs seem to form a lesser part of the admissions process.
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
don't think it's anywhere near the majority, particularly at cambridge where GCSEs seem to form a lesser part of the admissions process.

Really? That would surprise me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx

the majority of students at Cambridge will have all 8/9s at GCSE, i believe they have stated this before in regards to the competitiveness of their courses but i may be wrong, however OP definitely stands a chance as i believe those who perform this well at GCSE are likely to have the academic capacity and healthy study habits that lead to them achieving the required grades at A level and its the qualities of the people doing good at GCSE that get in not the GCSEs themselves
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx

yes, iirc the average number of A* or equivalent is 5 or 6 at Cambridge. And, as you've said, that's not a requirement just an average.
Reply 11
Original post by Deggs_14
Really? That would surprise me.

Tis true. See my post above.

Original post by Student101A
the majority of students at Cambridge will have all 8/9s at GCSE, i believe they have stated this before in regards to the competitiveness of their courses but i may be wrong, however OP definitely stands a chance as i believe those who perform this well at GCSE are likely to have the academic capacity and healthy study habits that lead to them achieving the required grades at A level and its the qualities of the people doing good at GCSE that get in not the GCSEs themselves

Nope.

Indeed having "less good" GCSEs followed by excellent AS-Levels is a sign of a "healthy" upward academic trajectory. Cambridge is very happy to see that.
Original post by Doones
yes, iirc the average number of A* or equivalent is 5 or 6 at Cambridge. And, as you've said, that's not a requirement just an average.

i would think since the 8 grade encompasses the top end of the old A too that the avg number of grades 8+ will be a bit higher, but this is about what you'd expect.
At Oxford interviews, I met a girl who had a 4 in one unrelated subject and some 5s and 6s for others. I don't think she ultimately got in, but she was at interview, so they clearly thought she was capable. Don't let it hold you back. You won't know until you try!
Original post by rwhitaker1
At Oxford interviews, I met a girl who had a 4 in one unrelated subject and some 5s and 6s for others. I don't think she ultimately got in, but she was at interview, so they clearly thought she was capable. Don't let it hold you back. You won't know until you try!

Yeah I think it's often more the case that people with high GCSE results are more likely to be able enough to try for Oxbridge, rather than Oxbridge requiring high GCSEs.
I got an offer, and the highest grades I got were two 8’s - of course you can!
Original post by Doones
Tis true. See my post above.

Nope.

Indeed having "less good" GCSEs followed by excellent AS-Levels is a sign of a "healthy" upward academic trajectory. Cambridge is very happy to see that.

i didn't say they wouldn't be happy with it, was pointing out that often those that excel at gcse also do so at A level and its not the gcses gaining them a place at Cambridge but just a correlation that those who achieve such grades at gcse often perform to the standard that Cambridge look for at AS and A2
oops, basically just what @_gcx said
Reply 18
Original post by Student101A
i didn't say they wouldn't be happy with it, was pointing out that often those that excel at gcse also do so at A level and its not the gcses gaining them a place at Cambridge but just a correlation that those who achieve such grades at gcse often perform to the standard that Cambridge look for at AS and A2

But the majority do not have "all 8/9s at GCSE".
Original post by Doones
But the majority do not have "all 8/9s at GCSE".

do you have any data for this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending