Not doing languages and applying for oxbridge Watch

usmaan.t
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was curious as my teacher told me his friend got denied going to oxford due to not doing a mfl at gcses despite him having amazing grades. Does anyone know whether oxbridge and the high end universities really care if you have taken a MFL at GCSEs please?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Never heard of that happening, and their website doesn't say anything about needing or even preferring a language GCSE. What were they applying for?
usmaan.t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Never heard of that happening, and their website doesn't say anything about needing or even preferring a language GCSE. What were they applying for?
Unfortunately I'm not too sure as he never specified. Just a bit worried if that would prevent me from going as I'm not taking a MFL
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by usmaan.t)
Unfortunately I'm not too sure as he never specified. Just a bit worried if that would prevent me from going as I'm not taking a MFL
Well that could be important. Like if they were applying for modern languages or linguistics...
also bear in mind this is your teacher's friend? So how long ago might it have been?
~Sara~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah, my teachers told us the same thing. apparently youre not likely to get accepted if you havent passed the EBacc at GCSE.
em-ghost
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When I picked my GCSEs I was told if I wanted to go to Oxbridge then I had to do a language at GCSE. I don’t know whether it’s just suggested or something that you have to of had
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just got an offer and I didnt take a language. Trust me, it doesn't make a difference
Mrepic Foulger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ~Sara~)
yeah, my teachers told us the same thing. apparently youre not likely to get accepted if you havent passed the EBacc at GCSE.
That's bs don't listen to them, they are trying to scare you into it
usmaan.t
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Well that could be important. Like if they were applying for modern languages or linguistics...
also bear in mind this is your teacher's friend? So how long ago might it have been?
Oh this was probably like 25 years ago lmao. I think my teacher is like in his mid 40s
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Loooooool.
Yeah complete BS. The reason teachers care about the EBacc is because it's used for school rankings. That's it.

(ok not complete BS in the sense that if you don't get passes in multiple important GCSE subjects then yeah you're not likely to get in. But BS in the sense that you don't actually need that particular combination of subjects)
Last edited by Sinnoh; 1 month ago
~Sara~
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mrepic Foulger)
That's bs don't listen to them, they are trying to scare you into it
the EBacc is compulsory in my school anyway
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was curious as my teacher told me his friend got denied going to oxford due to not doing a mfl at gcses despite him having amazing grades. Does anyone know whether oxbridge and the high end universities really care if you have taken a MFL at GCSEs please?
UCL likes you to have a MFL but even there you can workaround it.

A MFL GCSE is NOT a general requirement for Oxford or Cambridge.

Ebacc is not a requirement.

(Original post by em-ghost)
When I picked my GCSEs I was told if I wanted to go to Oxbridge then I had to do a language at GCSE. I don’t know whether it’s just suggested or something that you have to of had
Nope, it's not a thing.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It used to be a rule but was dropped to help expand access. People just used to cram a language (enough) to get a 'C' before applying. This is no longer a factor.
_gcx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolute crap.

Just teachers trying to manipulate students into doing the EBacc. (this is a performance measure for schools and has no relevance to the student!!)

Pretty low of them.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It used to be a requirement for Oxford that you had to have at least one language GCSE. That requirement went out before I even applied though (and that was in 2006), so you're all good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed