The Student Room Group
Reply 1
snk
Hey can anyone help me with an imformative speech and how to write a good one? just like give me advice or steps....please! lol

Hey, I'm recently new to public speaking and find that the best thing you can do is to have your thoughts clear in your mind, speack clearly and try not to pay too much attention to any individuals in the audience with whom you may be aquainted. What's the topic and who is yuor targetted audience? Good luck!! :smile:
Right. I've done English Speaking Union, Cambridge Union and Oxford Union, and several years of debating, so I've got some strategies!

Structure. You choose three areas, the typical being, 'ethical, economical and political' and you say what you are going to talk about at the beginning of your speech. Ie, fox hunting. If you were anti, you'd say,

I am going to talk about the ethical, economical and political issues of this issue. Then I will give some rebuttal of the other team, and my colleague will discuss this, this and this'

Then you go on and -do- it. If you flag up your structure, - 'I am now moving on to the economical points' then you get points. Don't read a previously written speech - it looks and sounds stilted, and you don't interact with the other speakers.

Divide your ideas into three areas, limit yourself to a small number because you'll find you have a lot to say.
Reply 3
I agree with Wilde_Oscar to some extent, but I've found if you can write in a style that sounds spoken, then it is possible to get away with just reading.
Reply 4
my advice would be to look at other famous speeches, see what kind of stucture they used which made their speech so effective, take ML King for instance, he gave a very good speech, ask yourself why, and then put some of those aspects into yours.

..:lee:..

Latest

Trending

Trending