why does it feel like everyone and their mothers are depressed these days? Watch

Toscana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
im not taking the piss out of depression or depressed people so dont even bother twisting my words. however, a lot of people i know both in real life and on social media claim to have depression and related problems. half of my family even claim to have it but i just cannot believe it. how can so many people have depression? does anybody else notice this?
Purplemonkeys
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lot of people have depression. There's just been less stigma around discussing it.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because everybody is broke
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplemonkeys)
A lot of people have depression. There's just been less stigma around discussing it.
yeah but it feels like more people have depression than those who do not
Toscana
Rep:
?
i wonder how many of these people have actually been diagnosed with depression or possibly confusing depression with feelings of sadness
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
People are more likely to be properly diagnosed with it at an older age as opposed to when you're younger. When you're younger you don't really know what's wrong with you and I can imagine a lot of younger people are scared to talk about it.

As you get older you find that it's more common and so people are more willing to be open about it. Especially with a better understanding of mental health.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you a doctor to be able to tell if people are depressed or not?
Purplemonkeys
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Toscana)
yeah but it feels like more people have depression than those who do not
And?
FakeNewsEditor
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In part because the word has two distinct meanings. The mood and the disorder/mental illness. A depressed mood is usually short-term, not intense and doesn't really affect your life. Depression is chronic, can be very intense, has actual physical symptoms and can ruin your life professionally & personally.
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Are you a doctor to be able to tell if people are depressed or not?
are you mad?
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because of the job market
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
are you mad?
You are the one saying people who have depression aren't depressed.
IrrationalRoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Really? The impression I get is that no one I see has even an ounce of depression. Of course it's not true, but that's what it looks like to me.
Last edited by IrrationalRoot; 4 weeks ago
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
People are more likely to be properly diagnosed with it at an older age as opposed to when you're younger. When you're younger you don't really know what's wrong with you and I can imagine a lot of younger people are scared to talk about it.

As you get older you find that it's more common and so people are more willing to be open about it. Especially with a better understanding of mental health.
so its pretty much established that depression is common?
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by IrrationalRoot)
Really? The impression I get is that no one I see has even an ounce of depression. Of course it's probably not true, but that's what it looks like to me.
in their defence, some people probably hide their depression
Toscana
Rep:
?
You are the one saying people who have depression aren't depressed.
yeah because its hard to believe most people you know have depression, thats basically admitting something as horrible as depression is normal which is pretty scary if you ask me
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
In part because the word has two distinct meanings. The mood and the disorder/mental illness. A depressed mood is usually short-term, not intense and doesn't really affect your life. Depression is chronic, can be very intense, has actual physical symptoms and can ruin your life professionally & personally.
oh you know that would make sense
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's a minority of people I know

maybe you attract them
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah because its hard to believe most people you know have depression, thats basically admitting something as horrible as depression is normal which is pretty scary if you ask me
Many people I work with are on antidepressants. Unfortunately, depression is very "normal" these days.
Toscana
Rep:
?
Many people I work with are on antidepressants. Unfortunately, depression is very "normal" these days.
do antidepressants work? my mom takes them and said they make her feel worse
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads