The Student Room Group

Difference between BA Hons in English and English Lit/CW

I have been applying to English Lit and Creative Writing in various unis, but some only have an "English" degree. What's the difference?
My understanding is that any ‘English’ BA can be pretty broad - you have to look at the modules offered. There may be creative writing modules available, as well as English language and literature modules so you kinda have to look at each uni course in detail.
Reply 2
Yes, you choose different modules that make up your degree. At Lancaster, a thousand years ago, I did a degree in English Literature but a delightful quarter of it was Creative Writing.
Reply 3
Hello I have applied for English Lit with CW too - what universities by curiousity and where have you heard back from?
It could just be a different title for basically the same thing. An English degree could have just English and cw modules (or you could design it to), or it could be exclusively english lit, lang/lit.
It will honestly just depend on the content. You shouldn't rule out degrees just because they're only titled 'English' with no specific mention of cw. I did that with music and music tech at first, but actually there's a fair few music degrees that have or can have a significant amount of music tech stuff, but I disregarded them at first, because the degrees are just called BA Music.
If there's a uni you like the look of, check out the English degree and see if it covers what you want it to, even if there's not specific mention of cw in the degree title. Look at the module titles and content and decide whether it's for you.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest