The Student Room Group

Always bored/lonely at university

Currently in my second semester of my first year at uni and I can say I have made literally no friends at all.
My flat mates are nice but I just really don’t click with them whatsoever.
In freshers I was going out with different people everyday to try and make new friends but they didn’t really last long as almost everyone stayed in their flat groups. Societies were a waste of time tbh as everyone seemed very unsocial and it was just awkward in general.
I can’t really move unis for multiple reasons so I’m kind of stuck here even though I really want to move to a bigger city like London as I feel like there would be more people like me there.
Is it possible to make new friends in second year and if so how?
Original post by Anonymous
Currently in my second semester of my first year at uni and I can say I have made literally no friends at all.
In freshers I was going out with different people everyday to try and make new friends but they didn’t really last long as almost everyone stayed in their flat groups. Societies were a waste of time tbh as everyone seemed very unsocial and it was just awkward in general.
I can’t really move unis for multiple reasons so I’m kind of stuck here even though I really want to move to a bigger city like London as I feel like there would be more people like me there.

It's completely on you to try and speak with people, you say people in societies seemed unsocial but clearly they must have people they enjoy speaking with there or they wouldn't go, just speak with people on your course, even if it's just during class about the work and you'll surely find someone you click with, I feel most people going to uni will have this issue as unlike highschool etc. it's entirely on you to socialize and that's part of being an adult
My advice is to pursue something other than friendship, like entrepreneurship for example. Or become competent at some skill and master it. If you rely on other people for happiness, then you're always going to be let down.
Honestly I completely understand your pain - i'm in exactly the same situation. just getting through each day is a struggle when you're constantly alone (im catered and dont even get me started on going to meals everyday on your own). the only thing thats helping me to get through it is the possibility of moving to a different uni for second year. i think im probably going to. are you sure you cant look into this? id be taking a bit of a reputation drop to do it but i honestly think its worth it for my happiness.
Original post by Anonymous

I can speak as someone who was in your position until recently; I am lucky, in that my parents did give me the option to withdraw from my uni and reapply to London for this year. All I can say is that if you are stuck there, you can’t afford to give up. Try to remember that there are definitely others at your uni in the same position, and no matter what happens, in 10 years it’ll all be a distant memory.

I had the same issue with societies. I went to their socials and they were all older students, drinking together in pre-established groups. If there is any sport or hobby that you have, though, for which there is a society, try instead asking in your course/ accommodation group chats if anyone else is into it, and see if they’re up for going. You can also look on Facebook for any events you might wanna attend and see if any of the people you met in freshers might be interested.
When you’re lonely it’s easy to convince yourself that you must be the problem, but I can promise you’re not. Regardless of what kind of person you are, there’s a certain amount of luck involved in making friends at uni. Good luck and feel free to drop a message.
"I really want to move to a bigger city like London as I feel like there would be more people like me there."

OP I have experienced London and if you think it's bad where you are it will be 10 times worse in London. Everyone in London is rude, inconsiderate, in a rush all the time, suspicious, arrogant, loud.... I have never met a less friendly group of people

Quick Reply

Latest