The Student Room Group

How likely are you to get your expected grades

Hi I’m in yr 10,
I am expected grade 7 8 and 9 right now - how likely am I to get this in the real GCSE?
Many thanks
Original post by Ezza1234
Hi I’m in yr 10,
I am expected grade 7 8 and 9 right now - how likely am I to get this in the real GCSE?
Many thanks

imo GCSE predictions are not very good, but that goes both ways ie some candidates score far higher some far lower.

I wouldn't worry about predictions, what grades do you want then work hard and go get them..
This is going to sound cringe but think of them as ‘targets’ rather than predictions as, most of the time grades are really hard to predict - especially the surge of work low-grade students due before their exam which can bump them up a stage (aka me - don’t advice doing this). Just make sure to pace yourself throughout the year with a constant hour of productive work every weekday + a bit more during the weekend (don’t know your situation so can’t tell) and you’ll quite easily get yourself high grades.
Original post by mnot
imo GCSE predictions are not very good, but that goes both ways ie some candidates score far higher some far lower.

I wouldn't worry about predictions, what grades do you want then work hard and go get them..

I’m going to try and work hard :smile:
Original post by ChloeBuzzard
This is going to sound cringe but think of them as ‘targets’ rather than predictions as, most of the time grades are really hard to predict - especially the surge of work low-grade students due before their exam which can bump them up a stage (aka me - don’t advice doing this). Just make sure to pace yourself throughout the year with a constant hour of productive work every weekday + a bit more during the weekend (don’t know your situation so can’t tell) and you’ll quite easily get yourself high grades.

Thanks for the advice! :smile: Btw when u mean be productive for an hour and stuff do you mean homework,revision or what? Many thanks
I was predicted all 8s and a 9 in geography and in the actual GCSEs half were 8s and the other half were 9s (including geography ayyy) so I would say they were pretty accurate, even though I didn't think I would actually get those grades
ultimately don't worry too much about grades and predictions right now; focus on creating good revision materials and paying attention in class
Original post by army of 1
I was predicted all 8s and a 9 in geography and in the actual GCSEs half were 8s and the other half were 9s (including geography ayyy) so I would say they were pretty accurate, even though I didn't think I would actually get those grades
ultimately don't worry too much about grades and predictions right now; focus on creating good revision materials and paying attention in class

Ok thank you soo much! And congratulations on your grades they are amazing! Could you give me some tips especially on how to revise maths sciences English and geography :smile:
Ok thank you soo much! And congratulations on your grades they are amazing! Could you give me some tips especially on how to revise maths sciences English and geography :smile:

Thanks 😁

Maths: lots and lots and lots of practice papers! Since you’re still in year 10 you probably haven't finished covering everything yet, but you can do practice questions on specific topics (mrbartonmaths is a great website for that, click on the maths takeaway and there should be loads of papers for each topic plus video lessons too if I remember correctly)

Sciences: I made mindmaps for each topic, basicaly summarising them all into like one/two sides of A4. If you can do that then it’s really useful because while you’re making them you’re essentially revising at the same time. I uploaded some of my physics ones onto tes.com if you would like to use them https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/Armyof1 😊
I also made these ‘cheatsheet’ things where I basically wrote down all the things that I forgot in tests. If you can try and condense/summarise it as much as you can that also helps because its easier to remember shorter sentences rather than paragraphs
Also flashcards and quizlet is good for definitions and things. For certain processes eg transpiration in biology or I dunno waste water treatment in chemistry, you can try to draw them as diagrams and try to simplify the steps too

English: pretty ew subject if you ask me, but you’ve gotta push on through 😂. I mostly did lots of practice papers/essays and rEAD THROUGH EXAMINER REPORTS! Try to learn how an examiner thinks/what things they look out for - how can you stand out from the rest of the country? Things like linking greek gods/mythology or maybe some kind of contextual/historical thing that could have influenced the text are things that higher grade students normally include. Just like try to come up with points that other people probably wouldn’t think to include. Its hard to explain haha maybe read through some example top grade answers and stuff?
Eg If you do lord of the flies or great expectations you can link the garden of eden with either the island in LOTF or miss havishams garden in GE.

Lastly geography: i made flashcards for this and also used quizlet for things like the pros & cons of favela schemes in rio orrr how traffic congestion is being managed in singapore etc etc. For case studies I typed up every single one I needed to know and split it into either physical or human and then which topics they linked to as well eg hurricane katrina is for tropical storms, shell oil tnc is for nigeria etc
If you wanna look at that case studies thing I could put that on my tes shop too?

Thanks for reading my essay haha I hope it helps you ☺️
Thanks 😁

Maths: lots and lots and lots of practice papers! Since you’re still in year 10 you probably haven't finished covering everything yet, but you can do practice questions on specific topics (mrbartonmaths is a great website for that, click on the maths takeaway and there should be loads of papers for each topic plus video lessons too if I remember correctly)

Sciences: I made mindmaps for each topic, basicaly summarising them all into like one/two sides of A4. If you can do that then it’s really useful because while you’re making them you’re essentially revising at the same time. I uploaded some of my physics ones onto tes.com if you would like to use them https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/Armyof1 😊
I also made these ‘cheatsheet’ things where I basically wrote down all the things that I forgot in tests. If you can try and condense/summarise it as much as you can that also helps because its easier to remember shorter sentences rather than paragraphs
Also flashcards and quizlet is good for definitions and things. For certain processes eg transpiration in biology or I dunno waste water treatment in chemistry, you can try to draw them as diagrams and try to simplify the steps too

English: pretty ew subject if you ask me, but you’ve gotta push on through 😂. I mostly did lots of practice papers/essays and rEAD THROUGH EXAMINER REPORTS! Try to learn how an examiner thinks/what things they look out for - how can you stand out from the rest of the country? Things like linking greek gods/mythology or maybe some kind of contextual/historical thing that could have influenced the text are things that higher grade students normally include. Just like try to come up with points that other people probably wouldn’t think to include. Its hard to explain haha maybe read through some example top grade answers and stuff?
Eg If you do lord of the flies or great expectations you can link the garden of eden with either the island in LOTF or miss havishams garden in GE.

Lastly geography: i made flashcards for this and also used quizlet for things like the pros & cons of favela schemes in rio orrr how traffic congestion is being managed in singapore etc etc. For case studies I typed up every single one I needed to know and split it into either physical or human and then which topics they linked to as well eg hurricane katrina is for tropical storms, shell oil tnc is for nigeria etc
If you wanna look at that case studies thing I could put that on my tes shop too?

Thanks for reading my essay haha I hope it helps you ☺️

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me I really really appreciate it !! 😊
I will definitely look into everything you have suggested especially for maths and science. However, I’m confused as to what you mean when you said cheat sheets please could you explain sorry 😂. Also, currently when I have tests in school I have a notebook for each subject such as biology and I write my notes in there do you think that is also an efficient way to revise because after I have written them I do the ‘look cover write check’?
I really want to do well 🙂🙂
Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me I really really appreciate it !! 😊
I will definitely look into everything you have suggested especially for maths and science. However, I’m confused as to what you mean when you said cheat sheets please could you explain sorry 😂. Also, currently when I have tests in school I have a notebook for each subject such as biology and I write my notes in there do you think that is also an efficient way to revise because after I have written them I do the ‘look cover write check’?
I really want to do well 🙂🙂

No problemm ☺️

By cheatsheet I mean you could get a piece of paper or a notebook or anything and basically just go through your tests and look at what things you normally forget. So if you don’t remember the equation for photosynthesis for example, you write that down on your biology cheatsheet. So then when you need to revise for a test you can look at the cheatsheet and you’ll remind yourself about all the little things you frequently forget.
What I did for my exams was I got this little A5 notebook and I went through the cgp guides for all three sciences, wrote the topic title then wrote down all the things I forget in bullet points. I could send a picture of mine if you’re still not sure 😂

As long as you’re not just copying from the textbook but you’re summarising everything then yeah I think that’s good. At the end of the day you just need to find the revision method that works best for you 😁
No problemm ☺️

By cheatsheet I mean you could get a piece of paper or a notebook or anything and basically just go through your tests and look at what things you normally forget. So if you don’t remember the equation for photosynthesis for example, you write that down on your biology cheatsheet. So then when you need to revise for a test you can look at the cheatsheet and you’ll remind yourself about all the little things you frequently forget.
What I did for my exams was I got this little A5 notebook and I went through the cgp guides for all three sciences, wrote the topic title then wrote down all the things I forget in bullet points. I could send a picture of mine if you’re still not sure 😂

As long as you’re not just copying from the textbook but you’re summarising everything then yeah I think that’s good. At the end of the day you just need to find the revision method that works best for you 😁

Oh I get it that's a very good idea I’m going to do that too!! Please could you send me the pic of your a5 notebook as well if it isn’t too much hassle? Yes I try to summarise the CGP :smile: Btw I’ve got another question what was your exam board for sciences and did you use cgp a lot and did you find it useful if not what sources did you use.
Many thanks!! 😊😊
Oh I get it that's a very good idea I’m going to do that too!! Please could you send me the pic of your a5 notebook as well if it isn’t too much hassle? Yes I try to summarise the CGP :smile: Btw I’ve got another question what was your exam board for sciences and did you use cgp a lot and did you find it useful if not what sources did you use.
Many thanks!! 😊😊

would you like a pic of just one page or all the pages I made?
I did AQA Higher for all the sciences and yes CGP was basically my religion haha
oh! another good thing for revision is seneca.com its a really great website and it has pretty much every subject and exam board on there. and they made some podcasts for revision on spotify if you prefer to revise by listening
:h:
I did AQA Higher for all the sciences and yes CGP was basically my religion haha
oh! another good thing for revision is seneca.com its a really great website and it has pretty much every subject and exam board on there. and they made some podcasts for revision on spotify if you prefer to revise by listening

Just one page please so I can see the layout. :smile: ok phew I use cgp too it’s just that I heard it wasn’t good but obviously that’s false seen as you got good grades with that book! Oh yeah I’ve heard of Seneca will check it out thanks :smile:

Btw are you in uni or sixth form? :smile:
Just one page please so I can see the layout. :smile: ok phew I use cgp too it’s just that I heard it wasn’t good but obviously that’s false seen as you got good grades with that book! Oh yeah I’ve heard of Seneca will check it out thanks :smile:

574A095D-A46F-41D6-8F7B-81570C2DADB9.jpeg Thats not all of topic 1 theres about ten more lines on the next page but yeah
Personally I really liked CGP and they were the textbooks we had at school. Maybe it just depends on the person? I think most people I know liked CGP anyway 😂
Btw are you in uni or sixth form? :smile:

I’m a year 12 in sixth form doing a levels 😁
574A095D-A46F-41D6-8F7B-81570C2DADB9.jpeg Thats not all of topic 1 theres about ten more lines on the next page but yeah
Personally I really liked CGP and they were the textbooks we had at school. Maybe it just depends on the person? I think most people I know liked CGP anyway 😂

Thank up so much this is very helpful!! 😊😊😊😊
I’m a year 12 in sixth form doing a levels 😁

Oh ok good luck! 😊
Thank up so much this is very helpful!! 😊😊😊😊

No problem! ☺️☺️
Oh ok good luck! 😊

Thank youu 😁

Quick Reply

Latest