medoropto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Really stuck on whether I want to do Med or Opto. I have the grades for predicted grades and GCSEs to be a real contender for both, but I don't know if I could handle how Medicine is. Money and time is a real deciding factor for me, sure Medicine brings in big money later but it's so time-consuming. Optometry seems easier and the pay difference is alright for me?
What do you think? (Med Oxford, Keele, Birmingham, Aston, Opto Aston/Manchester)
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by medoropto)
Really stuck on whether I want to do Med or Opto. I have the grades for predicted grades and GCSEs to be a real contender for both, but I don't know if I could handle how Medicine is. Money and time is a real deciding factor for me, sure Medicine brings in big money later but it's so time-consuming. Optometry seems easier and the pay difference is alright for me?
What do you think? (Med Oxford, Keele, Birmingham, Aston, Opto Aston/Manchester)
My personal opinion: if you are thinking about medicine or something else, do something else.

Have you done any work experience?

Medicine does not bring in "big money" either - according to current NHS payscales, you'd have to be 51 years old (at the earliest - 19 years after you become a consultant) before you are above £100,000 per year.
medoropto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
My personal opinion: if you are thinking about medicine or something else, do something else.

Have you done any work experience?

Medicine does not bring in "big money" either - according to current NHS payscales, you'd have to be 51 years old (at the earliest - 19 years after you become a consultant) before you are above £100,000 per year.
Honestly not 100% sure even though I used to be, seems a bit daunting now. As for work experience, that's fine by the time I finish AS I'll have had experience in a Pharmacy, Hospital Eye Centre and Shadowing a Doctor. I just want enough money to be comfortable and enough time to be happy. Med seems very busy and frantic. Do you think maybe Optometry or Pharmacy might be better then?
Dancer2001
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Medicine is something you have to plan for, but if you change your mind at any point, you can change to optometry or pharmacy.
You could probably even go through clearing if you changed your mind / didn’t get into medicine on results day.
How about applying for both?
malaikahhashim1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Same with me, I think being an optometrist is really good but then I got really good gcse grades the ppl think I will be able to do medicine and go Oxford/cambridge which I really don't think I have the passion for. However optometry sounds good but the unis don't (like the areas they are in). Unis in optometry that look good - City Uni of London Glasgow Cardiff Manchester
Dylan0019
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do you think Manchester will enter into clearing for optometry. I wish I had applied here
usayed1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I had the same dilemma, in the end I chose optometry. I really liked the idea of optometry being extremely flexible. My mates who are optometrists live an extremely comfortable and stress free. Really weigh up the pros and cons of medicine and optometry.
Sakiudns
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by usayed1)
I had the same dilemma, in the end I chose optometry. I really liked the idea of optometry being extremely flexible. My mates who are optometrists live an extremely comfortable and stress free. Really weigh up the pros and cons of medicine and optometry.
hi wherr do u study optom
usayed1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Bradford
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
oohh how is it like
im applying for 2021 entey and wanting to apply to manchester and bradford
how is vradfoed uni like in terms of teaching and social life?
usayed1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It depends what youre after, having studied in both cities id say theres a good social life in both bradford and manchester. Manchester is a much bigger city so therell be more to do there. The teachings good at bradford uni, they have a new complex just for optometry. I’d always advise on going to open days to really see which university you like.
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It depends what youre after, having studied in both cities id say theres a good social life in both bradford and manchester. Manchester is a much bigger city so therell be more to do there. The teachings good at bradford uni, they have a new complex just for optometry. I’d always advise on going to open days to really see which university you like.
ahaha i see thankuuu
do u commute to bradford?
i live in manchester so manchester ubi is my first choice but i feel like i wont get in so bradford is my second option ahah

are u in first year
usayed1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I commute to bradford which isnt bad. There are alot of people from manchester/oldham/rochdale who live and study optometry at bradford. Its a 3 year course which will fly by
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I commute to bradford which isnt bad. There are alot of people from manchester/oldham/rochdale who live and study optometry at bradford. Its a 3 year course which will fly by
ooooo i see yess a lot of peeople from manchester oldham rochdale to study optometry
what made you choose bradford and woild u say there are equal nymber of girls and guys?
usayed1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I chose bradford purely for location as I live a 15 minute drive away. Theres alot of people on the course, id say theres a good mix of girls and guy
Sakiudns
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I chose bradford purely for location as I live a 15 minute drive away. Theres alot of people on the course, id say theres a good mix of girls and guy
ahh right i see thankyouuu
what alevel subjects did u do
i do bio chem physcology

also do they have a car park
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (62)
17.32%
No one else does (115)
32.12%
I'm embarrassed about my background (38)
10.61%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (122)
34.08%
We don't use a video platform (6)
1.68%
I don't have a camera (8)
2.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
1.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed