The Student Room Group

Can I go from all grade 4s to all 7s within a year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elias_M96
Hi, I'm currently In year 10 & in all of my subjects I'm averaging a 4. So I was just wondering If I revise everyday until year 11, do you think I could get all 7s or am I just delusional? In the last month or so I've realised that I need to take education more seriously and that If I ever want to go to uni and make something good of myself I'm going to need the grades so I'm willing to put in alot of time to try and Improve just need some feedback and possibly tips on how I can do this :smile:Screenshot_20200118-140643_OneDrive-compressed.jpg.jpeg

If you consistently revise everyday you will definitely get all 7s easily I’ve seen people go from 3s and 4/ to 7-9s in 2 months
Thank you for your feedback, I definitely will be revising everyday and trying to really improve my grades :smile: Ps. Literature exam is in 4 months :smile:
I went from a grade 1 to a 7 in Maths within a year and a bit, so yes, you can go from a 4 to a 7. I have a 7 in Maths, 5 5 in Science, a 2 in English, a U in Literature and a 1 in Art. Yet, still I'm doing well with my Further Maths A-level and I have an offer from a university despite that I haven't passed English yet. Don't worry too much about GCSE level. I have the lowest average GCSE grade in my class, but i typically get an A in my core and further maths mock exams. Don't worry about getting all 7s, focus more on your interests and aim for 4s to 5s in the other, less interesting subjects, so you can do better with the subjects you are interested in choosing at A-level, and don't revise all the time. you will learn less. Rest is important. Everyone is different. What I did at GCSE level might not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I did nothing in other subjects. I only focused on Maths, that's it. A-levels are more important than GCSEs.
Thank you Orgasmatron :smile: May I ask what revision tips you recommend for improving e.g you improving maths, did you do past papers or was it just going over topics you struggled with etc.
Original post by orgasmatron1234
I went from a grade 1 to a 7 in Maths within a year and a bit, so yes, you can go from a 4 to a 7. I have a 7 in Maths, 5 5 in Science, a 2 in English, a U in Literature and a 1 in Art. Yet, still I'm doing well with my Further Maths A-level and I have an offer from a university despite that I haven't passed English yet. Don't worry too much about GCSE level. I have the lowest average GCSE grade in my class, but i typically get an A in my core and further maths mock exams. Don't worry about getting all 7s, focus more on your interests and aim for 4s to 5s in the other, less interesting subjects, so you can do better with the subjects you are interested in choosing at A-level, and don't revise all the time. you will learn less. Rest is important. Everyone is different. What I did at GCSE level might not work for everyone, but it worked for me. I did nothing in other subjects. I only focused on Maths, that's it. A-levels are more important than GCSEs.

Sorry but you can't get good uni offer with 1 in English language therefore doing good in English lang is very important
(edited 4 years ago)
My year 11 February mocks were all 3sand 4s. In the real things I got 888888765A. I started revision around 2/3 weeks before exams. Even 30 minutes a day starting in year 10 and you could get all 9s, not just 7s. I didn’t read the previous replies as they seem to go onto an argument. This is just my opinion
Thank You ArabLama, Congratulations on your results btw, may I ask what you did to improve ie, did you donpast papers or just revise topics you struggled with etc?
Original post by ArabLlama
My year 11 February mocks were all 3sand 4s. In the real things I got 888888765A. I started revision around 2/3 weeks before exams. Even 30 minutes a day starting in year 10 and you could get all 9s, not just 7s. I didn’t read the previous replies as they seem to go onto an argument. This is just my opinion

Duuuude I remember you from a post from your DP. Me and you were so stressed before results day. I remember you ranting on here.
Thank you Orgasmatron :smile: May I ask what revision tips you recommend for improving e.g you improving maths, did you do past papers or was it just going over topics you struggled with etc.

I went though past papers.I struggled with stats and probability because of the reading, but I didn't address it, because I got cocky with the grade boundaries being typically low. I used https://www.wolframalpha.com a lot. It's what helped me the most.
Ok, Thank you :smile:
Original post by hkgbknhl
Sorry but you can't get good uni offer with 1 in English language therefore doing good in English lang is very important

well I did get a good one. A*A are what the university want from my A-levels. I have a friend studying maths at York uni. He didn't pass English
What uni please?
Teesside. I only applied for that one because it's not far from me.
(edited 4 years ago)
well I did get a good one. A*A are what the university want from my A-levels. I have a friend studying maths at York uni. He didn't pass English

y u always lyinggggg
Teesside. I only applied for that one because it's not from me.

You are smart but you should have passed English which would allow you to get into at least top 15 uni
Original post by hkgbknhl
You are smart but you should have passed English which would allow you to get into at least top 15 uni

I don't need it. I have my university offer which doesn't ask for an English GCSE. My English is fine, I think. I applied for cyber security and networks, which doesn't rely on an English GCSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I'm currently In year 10 & in all of my subjects I'm averaging a 4. So I was just wondering If I revise everyday until year 11, do you think I could get all 7s or am I just delusional? In the last month or so I've realised that I need to take education more seriously and that If I ever want to go to uni and make something good of myself I'm going to need the grades so I'm willing to put in alot of time to try and Improve just need some feedback and possibly tips on how I can do this :smile:Screenshot_20200118-140643_OneDrive-compressed.jpg.jpeg

Yes, without a doubt.

My friend was averaging about the same as you, maybe a little bit higher with a 7 in DT and an 8 in Biology (Biology is his passion). Everything else was 4s.

He was a joker, still is. Messes about in class, but makes up for it at home when nobody is around. This guy was actually getting 4s up until about January, OF YEAR 11(one year ago), when he got his mock results back. He then had the same realisation that you have, except he didn't have an entire YEAR under his belt.

This guy decided he was gonna get amazing grades, but he is a logical person. Time spent revising does NOT equal exam success. He is not the person willing to sit slaved to his desk. So he was resourceful, watched Free Science Lessons to give him the gist of a topic in sciences (you could probably get through one topic's content a night for one subject , at a realistic rate) and would then answer practise questions on this website : https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com

He learnt the basics first. People, including myself, made a HUGE mistake of not mastering the basics and not building on them. I remember telling him this. So he made sure he could answer every question on the basics within the first month and a half, i.e all of year 10 work. He then went on to the harder stuff.

In English he got a 7 (hates English, but watched Mr Bruff on YouTube)
In Maths, he was answering level 4 then 5 then 6 questions... up until level 9 questions. And by the time he did the real exams, the real paper seemed a lot easier when you do such hard questions consistently.

I'm going to be posting some videos on my YouTube channel ( cheeky plug :wink:) to to help GCSE students like yourself: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9hwWf07vftS-NXuEYI0bUQ?view_as=subscriber

Btw, my friend didn't think it was possible to do what he did in 6 months, with a social life.

Imagine what you can do in the time you have left..
Thank You, this really assures me that it is possible :smile:

When going through past papers, time yourself. So you can better handle exams.
Will do thanks, I recently did a past gcse Business paper (timed myself 1 hour 45 as on the test) and got a C, the sad thing is I was 1 mark of a B LOL. That test was from 2016 tho so It was the old system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending