The Student Room Group

Re-Applying to Oxbridge nex year

I applied this year to Trinity College at Cambridge but rejected from the course so i have accepted a place at Durham. Would I be able to re-apply to either Cambridge again next year but a different college, or apply to Oxford instead whilst studying at Durham for the first year?
No... you cannot do that, only possible way is to a gap year
What subject are you applying for? Because I am in a very similar situation.

I applied for chemistry at durham but phys natsci at cambridge, however in hindsight I feel like I should have applied for chemistry at oxford instead bc my ps was mainly chemistry focussed. My teacher said to firm durham for now and depending on how good my a level grades are, to either accept the durham offer in august, or to decline and reapply for oxford.
..but yeah, you cannot transfer from Durham to Oxbridge after the first year.
Reply 4
so you can do this if you want to apply to Oxford, link below is helpful
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/547/~/can-i-apply-for-an-undergraduate-degree-course-if-i-am-already-studying-at

Having been rejected from Oxford this cycle as well I looked into this same thing for Cambridge but they don't accept applications from students studying at other unis unless there's exceptional circumstances, so if you want to reapply to Cambridge get feedback and take a gap year
Original post by ZhenYu Dai
No... you cannot do that, only possible way is to a gap year

Actually, you can. Oxford states on its website that they welcome applications from undergraduates studying at other universities. The only complication is that, rather than technically being 'transfer students', those coming from other universities would have to start their degrees from first year just as applicants from school do.

Original post by lcemartin 15
I applied this year to Trinity College at Cambridge but rejected from the course so i have accepted a place at Durham. Would I be able to re-apply to either Cambridge again next year but a different college, or apply to Oxford instead whilst studying at Durham for the first year?

Both taking a gap year and reapplying to Cambridge and reapplying to Oxford whilst studying at Durham are possible. However, be mindful that at Cambridge, some colleges may be more willing than others to accept a gap year student onto a mathematical course. Cambridge states that:

'Only a small minority of our mathematics students take a gap year. Some of those who do take a gap
year apply for a deferred place before they leave school. Although in many subjects the extra maturity
gained from a gap year is a great asset, in mathematics this has to be balanced against the danger of
going stale or ‘off the boil’. If you do decide that you want a gap year, then you should plan to keep
up your mathematics in some way if possible, and you should certainly get back into good practice (for
example, by working through past STEP papers) before you start the course. Some Colleges are more
encouraging than others to those wishing to defer entry, and Colleges realise that mature applicants will
have had ‘gap years’ for a variety of reasons at some point in their lives before applying to university'.

So if you do decide on that route, choose wisely.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
What subject are you applying for? Because I am in a very similar situation.

I applied for chemistry at durham but phys natsci at cambridge, however in hindsight I feel like I should have applied for chemistry at oxford instead bc my ps was mainly chemistry focussed. My teacher said to firm durham for now and depending on how good my a level grades are, to either accept the durham offer in august, or to decline and reapply for oxford.

I'm applying for History and am wondering if i can accept the Durham offer, but then drop out after a year if i was able to get into Cambridge the second time around. Sounds like you would have a stronger chance having a Chemistry tailored personal statement Oxbridge are all about having passion for the subject you are going in for so having a chemistry tailored personal statement for physics may have effected your chances.
I'm applying for History and am wondering if i can accept the Durham offer, but then drop out after a year if i was able to get into Cambridge the second time around. Sounds like you would have a stronger chance having a Chemistry tailored personal statement Oxbridge are all about having passion for the subject you are going in for so having a chemistry tailored personal statement for physics may have effected your chances.

Yeah, phys natsci is both chemistry and physics so I really should have just gone for chem..

I guess in your case it depends how much you prefer the cambridge course over the oxford one? It seems like it's a lot easier to reapply to oxford from durham than to cambridge.

If you were to decide to apply to Oxbridge whilst at another university, I would suggest applying to Oxford. Cambridge states on their website that 'The Cambridge Colleges will not normally consider applications to Cambridge from students enrolled on degree courses at other UK universities unless there are exceptional circumstances or there is a change of subject (in which case a letter of support from the student's current institution is required). If in doubt, applicants should contact individual Colleges for further guidance.

Any application to study at Cambridge would need strong support from your course director or other academic tutor at your current university. A reference/letter of recommendation from that person to the Cambridge College would be required before a Cambridge College could consider an application, and such applications would still be subject to the same academic assessment as any other application to the University.'

Although it is, therefore, technically possible for you to apply to Cambridge from another university and get an offer, it appears that they are far less willing than Oxford to offer places to undergraduates at other universities. Judging from Oxford's website, it seems that they hold applicants from school and from other universities to the same standards.
Thanks for the advice that's really helpful!
Reply 10

Do you qualify for Cambridge's adjustment scheme?

If not why not just take a gap year - going to Durham for a year and then to Oxford* adds an extra year of academic and living costs to your student debt. Whilst a gap year can be a valuable addition to your CV and earn you some decent money.

*Assuming your reapplication is successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending