Poll: Do you agree with this Petition?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (20)
40.82%
Of the Contrary, no. (20)
40.82%
Abstain. (9)
18.37%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
P100 – Cardiff Airport Petition
We call on the government to begin the process of selling Cardiff Airport, as was the will of the house in VM570. Her Majesty’s Government are ignoring the fact that the house can act as the devolved legislatures and that they themselves can act as the devolved governments in order to benefit their own wishes and agenda, which is simply unacceptable.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Write a bill, the government won't do anything other than release a pair of statements saying as much
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Write a bill, the government won't do anything other than release a pair of statements saying as much
At least it will force them to say something, since they have just ignored the topic when asked about it (with your question in AtG being ignored for example) I must say I am slightly bemused with your abstention since you're the one who promoted the petition option to me, but such is life. I probably won't write a bill myself, since as you've seen yourself I'm pretty bad at items (especially bills)
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
At least it will force them to say something, since they have just ignored the topic when asked about it (with your question in AtG being ignored for example) I must say I am slightly bemused with your abstention since you're the one who promoted the petition option to me, but such is life. I probably won't write a bill myself, since as you've seen yourself I'm pretty bad at items (especially bills)
See AtG: they have already stated they will ignore any petition or motion that is not is not in line with their policy (so will ignore everything)

The abstention is a reflection of the fact, after consideration, that this is ultimately just a stunt and the legislative route should have been taken (even if it is a stunt I suggested as a possibility)
Sin Nombre
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I'm kind of the same although my problem is I haven't really tried.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
I'm kind of the same although my problem is I haven't really tried.
Well try then. Yes there's always the possibility of getting slaughtered for the item being awful and easily flawed (as I know first hand) but I see every bad item made as a learning curve for the future, which is probably the best way of looking at them.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well try then. Yes there's always the possibility of getting slaughtered for the item being awful and easily flawed (as I know first hand) but I see every bad item made as a learning curve for the future, which is probably the best way of looking at them.
It would be a bill that is difficult to write well given it's trying to do something actually very complicated
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hear hear
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Apologies Andrew97, I'm usually against petitions but if this one can force the government to actually do something, I'm in favour. Please change my No to an Aye. Thank you.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Prediction: this vote is going to be a lot more important and symbolic than it should be.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Apologies Andrew97, I'm usually against petitions but if this one can force the government to actually do something, I'm in favour. Please change my No to an Aye. Thank you.
It can't any more than any other petition can
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It can't any more than any other petition can
Just poor wording on my part. I meant this item, a petition, as opposed to e.g. motions.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Just poor wording on my part. I meant this item, a petition, as opposed to e.g. motions.
Which can force as much action as a motion, the only thing the government are obliged to do, with no penalty for failing to do so, is release a 1 line statement saying they're doing nothing
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Which can force as much action as a motion, the only thing the government are obliged to do, with no penalty for failing to do so, is release a 1 line statement saying they're doing nothing
And then a second one 3 weeks later if they don't write a bill.
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'll have my petition rifle fully loaded, don't you worry :smug:

In reality, I think I've just accepted that trying to get this government to do anything is like poking a dead body with a stick. As much as I disagree with you on probably almost everything at least you were active as PM and would respond to any questions which would mean I wouldn't have had to go to such lengths to get an official response.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
There's no "if" about it
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
In reality, I think I've just accepted that trying to get this government to do anything is like poking a dead body with a stick. As much as I disagree with you on probably almost everything at least you were active as PM and would respond to any questions which would mean I wouldn't have had to go to such lengths to get an official response.
Thank you for the compliment, I am attempting to make in-roads from the other side.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Prediction: this vote is going to be a lot more important and symbolic than it should be.
Let's see what the result is before we draft our VoNCs eh SoggyCabbages
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I will be voting aye on this, I hope the governmnt actually does something for once.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
The following votes have been removed:

No:
SacreBlan

Abstain: tobb6724

The following votes have been changed:
Aye to Nay for yaseen1000
Aye to Abstain for salimyasin10

Nay to Aye for Life_peer

Abstain to Nay for: SnowMiku
Abstain to Nay for: shadowdweller
Abstain to Aye for Rakas21
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (1)
16.67%
I'm not sure (0)
0%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (3)
50%
I have already dropped out (0)
0%
I'm not a current university student (2)
33.33%

Watched Threads