M576 – Motion on the handover of social media data to Psychiatrists Watch

This discussion is closed.
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm caught either way. On one hand, I do believe social media addiction and the other issues that arise from it are a massive issue and getting proper data would allow researchers to finally take a stance on it. On the other side, that's rather sensitive data. Plus, if we're talking children then that's 13 and under who should not be on social media in the first place.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Then perhaps you should more clearly elaborate what you are actually arguing?
That just like all forms of new media before it, social media is being used as an excuse by parents who do not want to believe their children are imperfect.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t see why the handing over of anonymised data is a human rights breach. I also don’t see it as harmful as long as it’s only used for research and not for product development.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aph)
I don’t see why the handing over of anonymised data is a human rights breach. I also don’t see it as harmful as long as it’s only used for research and not for product development.
Can the data be truly anonymous?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Miss Maddie)
Can the data be truly anonymous?
Ummmmm yes? This is how most studies are done... you just take out any identifying data. It’s easy enough to do.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
That just like all forms of new media before it, social media is being used as an excuse by parents who do not want to believe their children are imperfect.
Oh I see. No I don't really disagree or care much about that. I'll leave you to your opinions.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Division, clear the lobbies!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads