wolfieboi_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So this Wednesday was I received my rejection from cambridge medicine and am considering reapplying next year. I feel like I was a strong candidate on paper, my GCSEs were 999999877A + A in add maths, I had 3090 band 1 in UCAT, 4A*s predicted at A level and a 6.5 6.6 3A on BMAT. However, I strongly unperformed at interview and applied to one of the more competitive colleges (trinty) so was rejected without pool. The reason i failed the interview is that I am not doing bio a level and the interview was entirely biology questions. If i take a gap year i will spend some time reading around the subject so will be more prepared for an interview and therefore more likely to get an offer. I currently have no offers for med. Any thoughts about reapplying?
paub
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
try else where why waste a year. once your qualified it wont matter.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wolfieboi_)
So this Wednesday was I received my rejection from cambridge medicine and am considering reapplying next year. I feel like I was a strong candidate on paper, my GCSEs were 999999877A + A in add maths, I had 3090 band 1 in UCAT, 4A*s predicted at A level and a 6.5 6.6 3A on BMAT. However, I strongly unperformed at interview and applied to one of the more competitive colleges (trinty) so was rejected without pool. The reason i failed the interview is that I am not doing bio a level and the interview was entirely biology questions. If i take a gap year i will spend some time reading around the subject so will be more prepared for an interview and therefore more likely to get an offer. I currently have no offers for med. Any thoughts about reapplying?
for medicine, doing this is particularly idiotic if you got other offers
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which is more important? Becoming a doctor or studying at Cambridge? As if it is the latter, I suspect there are easier courses to get into than medicine. If it is the former, that will happen whichever med school you go to.
808snheartache
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I strongly agree with what someone else said... I know peers that are exceptional in every dimension and have missed medicine offers from Cardiff etc... it’s a hard course to get into. Remember, if you truly care about being a medic, it doesn’t really matter which uni you go to- any medicine degree is amazing and trust me, there are enough jobs to fill. Consider whether your passion is for the course or the university brand...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you get other offers, take them. If you don't, and you get all A* at A-level, no harm in including Cambridge when you reapply, but choose a different college.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Agree 100% with the above from Helenia and GANFYD. There is no point spending a year jeopardising your potential medical career for an x low percentage chance of getting into Cambridge.

I know you feel you were treated unfairly by Cambridge, but I do feel they would have considered your lack of biology when assessing you. Oxbridge questions are about working out what you don't already know, not testing how much biology knowledge you have. Whatever conclusions you draw... its time to move on, don't get caught up on it.
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
your bmat is amazing
wolfieboi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by karl pilkington)
your bmat is amazing
ty lol
aaa120701
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
ty lol
consider this; is medicine more important to you or cambridge? if its cambridge, then its best to consider another career choice and degree. trust me as a first year med student ive talked to oxford medic graduates that are now currently on the same training pathway as any other graduate and are teaching us as part of their surgical training; just like any other medical graduate from any other medical school. if you get other offers, think long and hard about if medicine is what you really want - if it isnt, take a gap year, reapply to another course you want and then youll still have medicine open as a door for you through GEM (as well as affording a reapplication to cambridge if you do well enough in your A levels).
karl pilkington
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
ty lol
do you find yourself finishing work before other people and did you find a levels especially easy? Also do you have a high IQ?
rimelius
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by aaa120701)
consider this; is medicine more important to you or cambridge? if its cambridge, then its best to consider another career choice and degree. trust me as a first year med student ive talked to oxford medic graduates that are now currently on the same training pathway as any other graduate and are teaching us as part of their surgical training; just like any other medical graduate from any other medical school. if you get other offers, think long and hard about if medicine is what you really want - if it isnt, take a gap year, reapply to another course you want and then youll still have medicine open as a door for you through GEM (as well as affording a reapplication to cambridge if you do well enough in your A levels).
sorry what's "GEM" ? :-)
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by rimelius)
sorry what's "GEM" ? :-)
Graduate entry medicine
Aya_ceyr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
you know cambridge is doing adjustment this year? including medicine, if you had an interview you should've gotten an email in january saying you're eligible for cambridge adjustment
Chief Wiggum
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
In my personal opinion, if you get an offer from another med school, then you should take that offer. If you get zero offers, then by all means reapply to Cambridge. Your application does look strong - good BMAT.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If you get an offer, take it
If not, reapply where you want to go to- Cambridge included if that's what you want
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Surely with those stats Cambridge made a very definite decision that they didn't want to accept you. I think describing it as 'underperforming' at the interview isn't really revealing the extent of their 'no', if that makes sense.

Take another option. Cambridge really isn't the be-all and end-all.
wolfieboi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Surely with those stats Cambridge made a very definite decision that they didn't want to accept you. I think describing it as 'underperforming' at the interview isn't really revealing the extent of their 'no', if that makes sense.

Take another option. Cambridge really isn't the be-all and end-all.
they rejected me because my interview was bad, if i try again next year my interview is better I will more likely get an offer. dont see the point you're trying to make.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
they rejected me because my interview was bad, if i try again next year my interview is better I will more likely get an offer. dont see the point you're trying to make.
My point is that your stats would place you at the top of the cohort. Cambridge doesn't normally reject applicants on the basis of one element of their application (in your case, the interview). Thus, even a poor interview should have been offset by the strength of your application elsewhere.

For Cambridge to have rejected you solely on your interview suggests to me that it didn't just go 'badly' - there was something in it which strongly indicated to them that they did not want to accept you as a student. It's slightly hubristic to assume that you 'will more likely get an offer' if your interview is 'better' next time: I don't actually think you would.

As I said, I'd accept a place elsewhere.
wolfieboi_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
My point is that your stats would place you at the top of the cohort. Cambridge doesn't normally reject applicants on the basis of one element of their application (in your case, the interview). Thus, even a poor interview should have been offset by the strength of your application elsewhere.

For Cambridge to have rejected you solely on your interview suggests to me that it didn't just go 'badly' - there was something in it which strongly indicated to them that they did not want to accept you as a student. It's slightly hubristic to assume that you 'will more likely get an offer' if your interview is 'better' next time: I don't actually think you would.

As I said, I'd accept a place elsewhere.
so are you suggesting that cambridge has some hidden requirements to get an offer that i dont meet? what type of thing would have strongly indicated that they did not want to accept me as a student?

sorry, i just dont really see what you mean. cambridge is looking for keen scientists and ill admit my scientific ability didnt really show in interview, especially with my lack of biology knowledge, but i dont see why i wouldnt be able to improve in a year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (145)
60.17%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.56%
No- I want it (68)
28.22%
No- I don't want it (17)