The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

2020 University of Liverpool Carmel college foundation year

Who has applied for a UoL foundation you at Carmel wondering what your thoughts are regarding making the commute every weekday?

Scroll to see replies

I've received an offer to study foundation engineering at Carmel college and trying to do some research on the feasibility of it being approx. 9 miles out the city. I don't drive so need to find myself accommodation that sits on a bus route, if there is one.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by whickmott
I've received an offer to study foundation engineering at Carmel college and trying to do some research on the feasibility of it being approx. 9 miles out the city. I don't drive so need to find myself accommodation that sits on a bus route, if there is one.

I've looked at Google maps and apparently all of the buses are an hour. Bummer. I'm gunna try and figure something else cos that a trek everyday.
Worth checking the local train network (Merseyrail) see if that can get you near. Won't be as cheap as the buses but it should be quicker, not sure what the stations are like up at the St Helens end of things though.
I'm currently at Carmel doing the foundation course, and commute on the bus / train every day from university accommodation in the city. If you have any questions let me know
Original post by loose_change
I'm currently at Carmel doing the foundation course, and commute on the bus / train every day from university accommodation in the city. If you have any questions let me know

Thanks for getting back to me mate :smile:

just a few questions to start with, I'm sure ill have more at a later date;

What is the intensity of the foundation course?
How is balancing it with social aspects?
Do you regret staying in uni Accom for year 0? Thinking of going private so I can take my car to maybe make life a bit easier.

cheers again.
The intensity depends on whether you've done A levels or not. I did A Levels in all the subjects I chose to study here so it is pretty much all the same content. I find it really quite easy. Balancing it with a social life is easy, I'm not saying getting up at 7:30 for your 9am lesson is easy if you've been out the night before but it is doable. I only have two 9am lessons a week so I find I can go out the night before on any day and some days still have a lie in. I also work 10 hours a week for extra money and fit this in nicely.
I don't regret staying in uni accommodation, I don't mind the bus or train journey to be honest. Bringing my car to uni would be nice so I could drive to Carmel but it's an added expense I don't fancy. Whether you stay at uni accommodation or private accommodation you will meet loads of people, some also doing the foundation course. I probably know about 20 people in my accommodation who travel to Carmel every day
Reply 7
Original post by loose_change
The intensity depends on whether you've done A levels or not. I did A Levels in all the subjects I chose to study here so it is pretty much all the same content. I find it really quite easy. Balancing it with a social life is easy, I'm not saying getting up at 7:30 for your 9am lesson is easy if you've been out the night before but it is doable. I only have two 9am lessons a week so I find I can go out the night before on any day and some days still have a lie in. I also work 10 hours a week for extra money and fit this in nicely.
I don't regret staying in uni accommodation, I don't mind the bus or train journey to be honest. Bringing my car to uni would be nice so I could drive to Carmel but it's an added expense I don't fancy. Whether you stay at uni accommodation or private accommodation you will meet loads of people, some also doing the foundation course. I probably know about 20 people in my accommodation who travel to Carmel every day

Hey I have accepted an offer for a foundation at Carmel and have been nervous its going to be just like going back to sixth form but from the sounds of it is it much different from being an ordinary first year? Cheers for sharing.
Original post by 6301
Hey I have accepted an offer for a foundation at Carmel and have been nervous its going to be just like going back to sixth form but from the sounds of it is it much different from being an ordinary first year? Cheers for sharing.

Going to carmel is very much like my previous sixth form. The content is pretty much all A-Level as well. But that's just one part of the experience in year 0. I go back to my uni accommodation and I'm staying with 7 others who are all doing uni degrees. We all go out together and I mix in with uni societies. The carmel course is really good at preparing you for next year. The bus is a bit crap but there's also the train, or if you're lucky catch a lift with someone who drives now and again!
Hello,
I was wondering what you thought about Carmel College? I’m an a level student who doesn’t have the correct subjects to do pharmacology at Liverpool and was curious to know whether a foundation year in biological science is better for me? If you are a student of Carmel college, are you allowed to use the facilities of the university or not? Thanks
Original post by roseflamingo
Hello,
I was wondering what you thought about Carmel College? I’m an a level student who doesn’t have the correct subjects to do pharmacology at Liverpool and was curious to know whether a foundation year in biological science is better for me? If you are a student of Carmel college, are you allowed to use the facilities of the university or not? Thanks

Carmel College has some fantastic teachers who will put your through your paces to ensure you're well equipped for year 1 of Pharmacology or any science-related degree which you can proceed onto. You attend Carmel College but you are still a University of Liverpool student and can use the facilities such as the libraries and student union facilities. You are also allowed to be in the University student accommodation so I ended up at Crown Place this year and had 6 students living with me who were doing year 1 at University of Liverpool. As far as student life goes you're no different to the other students other than you study at Carmel College rather than in lecture buildings on university campus :smile:
Wow thank you for that information, really useful! :smile: I’ve already made my UCAS application and didn’t put this down, is it too late now for September 2020? If I was to apply for biological science, I will have to withdraw all my offers and go through clearing or adjustment so I don’t know whether this is risky. What is the success rate for completion of foundation year and what did you learn? Eg. Exam, coursework content? Thanks :smile:
Wow thank you for that information, really useful! :smile: I’ve already made my UCAS application and didn’t put this down, is it too late now for September 2020? If I was to apply for biological science, I will have to withdraw all my offers and go through clearing or adjustment so I don’t know whether this is risky. What is the success rate for completion of foundation year and what did you learn? Eg. Exam, coursework content? Thanks :smile:

With COVID-19 disruptions I am not sure, it would be worth e-mailing or phoning the university directly with this query.
Success rate for the uni is high as the pass requirements aren't particularly high. It's roughly a 50% average in both semester 1 and semester 2 needed to pass. If you fail either semester 1 or semester 2 (or dare I say both) you also get the chance to retake the examinations in August, though I would recommend trying your hardest to avoid this, obviously.
It depends on the modules you take but for the full modules you do 6 pieces of coursework (they're called assessments) and each make up 5% of your semester result . You also have an exam in each module which makes up 70% of your semester result. For half modules you do 3 assessments which each make up 10% of your semester result. And the exam makes up 70% of your semester result. You repeat this for semester 2 in the same fashion.

For those that pass and progress onto first year of their degree, many finish their degree with a 1st.
Content depends on which modules you take, some are compulsory depending on what degree pathway you choose and some are optional and can be switched around. I wouldn't worry too much about this in particular, if you were wanting to get prepared for semester 1 I would suggest learning some of the AS and A2 Biology / Chemistry content if you haven't already.
I am willing to work as hard as possible to make sure that I go to Uni of Liverpool because it is my dream uni. Shame I can’t go for year one but looking for different options! After completing your foundation year, did you have to go through UCAS again or get a guaranteed place on your year one course? Did you need to do an interview for course?
I am willing to work as hard as possible to make sure that I go to Uni of Liverpool because it is my dream uni. Shame I can’t go for year one but looking for different options! After completing your foundation year, did you have to go through UCAS again or get a guaranteed place on your year one course? Did you need to do an interview for course?

No you automatically enter year 1 of your chosen pathway. You may have an academic advisor meeting to discuss the pathway you initially chose is still the pathway you want to progress onto. You will not have a formal interview and you won't apply via UCAS.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ahhh ok thank you! If you don’t mind me asking, do you go to Liverpool now and what course do you do? Did you find the foundation year beneficial to keep up with the work in year one?
Ahhh ok thank you! If you don’t mind me asking, do you go to Liverpool now and what course do you do? Did you find the foundation year beneficial to keep up with the work in year one?

Hi I'm still currently in the foundation year, completing the rest of it at home due to the virus. I can speak for others in first year who have said that it prepped them well for first year as the modules you cover are similar to the first year content
What happens to those who don’t pass the foundation year? Will there be leeway if a person is a few marks off etc?
Hi, I am looking to start the foundation year next year also. I am just curious about accommodation. I am looking to stay in uni accommodation for my year 0 at carmel college but what would you suggest for year 1 of degree (the following year) as I am thinking that most people on that degree will be on their year 1 etc. Sorry if that is a bit confusing. Thanks!!
Original post by chloe_k100
Hi, I am looking to start the foundation year next year also. I am just curious about accommodation. I am looking to stay in uni accommodation for my year 0 at carmel college but what would you suggest for year 1 of degree (the following year) as I am thinking that most people on that degree will be on their year 1 etc. Sorry if that is a bit confusing. Thanks!!

Hi, I understand your problem as it’s the same with me! I want to go into accommodation at the university because I’ll still be able to use their library etc and join their student unions. I wouldn’t worry about others being on year 1 and you being on year 0 because you’re all going to be together and be able to make friends, regardless where you go to study. Your university life will be exactly the same as theirs, the only difference is that you are going to be at Carmel for most of the day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending