thatcollegegirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm thinking of doing one next year so I'd be interested to know what kind of topics people did it on as well as how long it took you to do it? It would also be helpful to know what difficulties people faced.
AHoek10
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
I'm thinking of doing one next year so I'd be interested to know what kind of topics people did it on as well as how long it took you to do it? It would also be helpful to know what difficulties people faced.
Some of the topics in my class included
- 19th century colonisation in West Africa.
- the 2008 finincial crisis.
- black feminism and intersectionality.
- the 2nd amendment.
- institutional racism in the U.K.
- Colin Kapernick

It took me about 2 hours a week from September until about April/May. It honestly didn’t feel like a lot of work on top of my 4 A Levels. The difficulty was initially finding your sources but once you got them it’s ok. Also many didn’t do any work outside of the 1.5 hours we were giving in class, so had to rush their conclusion and evaluation. Also, don’t leave adding in your footnotes until the end of the project: do it as you go along.

Overall, it was definitely worth. It really helps teach you some of the research and presentation skills that you will need at university and allows you to learn about something that you are actually interested in. Also it really helps when applying for university: Liverpool just reduced my offer to BBB because of my EPQ and so did Birmingham to ABB (if I accept them as my firm choice).
thatcollegegirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AHoek10)
Some of the topics in my class included
- 19th century colonisation in West Africa.
- the 2008 finincial crisis.
- black feminism and intersectionality.
- the 2nd amendment.
- institutional racism in the U.K.
- Colin Kapernick

It took me about 2 hours a week from September until about April/May. It honestly didn’t feel like a lot of work on top of my 4 A Levels. The difficulty was initially finding your sources but once you got them it’s ok. Also many didn’t do any work outside of the 1.5 hours we were giving in class, so had to rush their conclusion and evaluation. Also, don’t leave adding in your footnotes until the end of the project: do it as you go along.

Overall, it was definitely worth. It really helps teach you some of the research and presentation skills that you will need at university and allows you to learn about something that you are actually interested in. Also it really helps when applying for university: Liverpool just reduced my offer to BBB because of my EPQ and so did Birmingham to ABB (if I accept them as my firm choice).
Thank you. It does seem like a good idea to experience a uni style essay
LaughterIsMyDrug
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!

I did the EPQ in 2018/19 in year 13 on a Chinese board game that I love to play (Ma Jiang/Mah Jong) and it's cultural/philosophical dimensions. Some other people did theirs on: childhood and linguistics, Yemen geopolitical conflict and neuroscience

I spent quite a lot of my time researching it (i had to keep reminding myself to make sure what i was researching was actually relevant to answering my question though lol), but it didn't really affect my other subjects as i organized my time spent on it

Overall, I found it as a really good opportunity to get an insight into essay writing, referencing and research in university, and a way to shine light on my own strengths/weaknesses (which I outlined in my presentation)

Definitely recommend it and make sure you choose a topic that you're really interested in!
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Hey! My sixth form made it compulsory to do an EPQ. But I saw it as an opportunity to use it as a benefitting source for university applications.
My main top tip for you when doing an epq, is to base your topic on what you want to do in university. Or something related to that of the sort. Only then, will universities pay attention to it and possibly lower entry requirements.
For example, for me personally, I did my epq topic on ‘To what extent does oral health have a psychological effect,’ and I’m a dentistry applicant.
It took me about September to February/March. And it honestly didn’t feel like a heavy burden whilst doing A Levels. (I believe this was mostly because I completed it in year 12). And the only part that was difficult for me was the extensive research, especially since it wasn’t that much of a specific topic and was broader than what a typical topic would be. I would definitely recommend because in some cases, it really does lower entry requirements. Hope I helped in some way.
BlueEyedGirl_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did my EPQ on the Human Rights Act and really enjoyed doing it! I felt it prepared me for uni better than my A level subjects due to the independent research and the length of essay we had to write. I also loved being able to have full control over what I wrote about and to take the project in whether direction I wanted.

I think some of the ‘behind the scenes’ things were a bit frustrating at the time e.g. writing out an activity log with deadlines, whether you met the deadlines, why or why not etc, however I now realise that it actually really helped me understand how to manage a long term project, how to prioritise work, how to be adaptable when issues surface and so on.

As long as you keep on top of it then I would say it’s manageable. I started researching mine in the summer before year 13, but properly worked on it from September to February’s doing probably around 4 hours a week, just reading different articles and writing different sections during my free periods. As long as you’re passionate about the subject then I would say it flows pretty naturally - I think for the people who struggled it was largely because they just didn’t enjoy their topic.

Overall, if you can think of a topic you’d love to research and write about and also want to develop time management skills, academic writing skills etc then I’d really recommend and EPQ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?