The Student Room Group

hey could anyone please give constructive crtitisism on my romeo essay

Particularly at the beginning part of the play, Romeo is presents as an idealistic, inexperienced/ young lover. His youth like wonder to love is made apparent during his courtly lover phase. During this stage we get a glimpse of Romeo's state of mind through his oxymoronic language "When then, O brawling love! O loving hate! […] Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, sick health". The use of contradictory phrases blends the joys of first love with emotional desolation it brings. Furthermore, Shakespeare's choice of language reflects the youthful idealized notion of romance. The oxymoronic words suggests the strong emotions that Romeo is clearly able to feel for a woman that he barely knows. This demonstrates his immaturity and his potential for deeper love and emotional growth. Moreover, the contrast in Romeo's and Mercutio's personality emphasises Romeo's naïve nature. In his soliloquy about Queen Mab Mercutio establishes his realist personality and his skepticism on the notion of love while Romeo indulges himself in idealistic love filled daydreams. Even Juliet is seen to criticises Romeo's evident immaturity. She teases him to be a lover who kisses according to convention rather than from the heart "You kiss by th' book". The gap in maturity between Juliet and Romeo is explored throughout the play.

Arguably, Romeo's inexperienced, youthful nature is one of his greatest flaws as it leads to his impulsiveness. Clearly, Romeo is eager to experience this idealized form of romance that he alludes to in the earlier scenes of the play. This could be the reason why he choses to indulge himself at the notion of being with Juliet. Friar Laurence, who acts as a surrogate father to Romeo, criticizes him showing his displeasure at his impulsive and shallow decision to abandon his love for Rosaline so quickly. "Is Rosaline that thou dist love so dear, // So soon forsaken? Young men's love, then, lies// Not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes". The Friar uses the formal language of rhyme to advise caution. The language establishes the Friar as an philosophical man. This adds weight to his words of caution and creates a more prophetical tone to his warning. This implies how there will be consequences to Romeo's senseless impulsiveness.
Reply 1
You have some really good points! It may seem a bit of a meticulous point, but it might be worth using the hesitant tone when writing your essay, e.g. Romeo seems to be presented, Juliet may be criticising Romeo's immaturity etc. This shows your awareness that literature is open to interpretation, as well as leave it open for you to make counter-arguments or alternate readings that boost you up the grade boundaries! I'd also consider using Shakespeare's name when analysing, e.g. 'Shakespeare may have decided to include formal language through the Friar ...' This again highlights the concept that Shakespeare made these decisions for a reason, and you're able to recognise this (also improves AO2 marks for authorial methods).
Keep up the good work! :smile:
Do the response from the audience like contemporary and modern and how it relates to context. I also agree with the other response to your question in that make it sound as though you know literature is open to different interpretations like ‘perhaps’ or ‘instead, romeo may be...’. If that makes sense
Reply 3
Original post by kelrosa
You have some really good points! It may seem a bit of a meticulous point, but it might be worth using the hesitant tone when writing your essay, e.g. Romeo seems to be presented, Juliet may be criticising Romeo's immaturity etc. This shows your awareness that literature is open to interpretation, as well as leave it open for you to make counter-arguments or alternate readings that boost you up the grade boundaries! I'd also consider using Shakespeare's name when analysing, e.g. 'Shakespeare may have decided to include formal language through the Friar ...' This again highlights the concept that Shakespeare made these decisions for a reason, and you're able to recognise this (also improves AO2 marks for authorial methods).
Keep up the good work! :smile:

Thank you so much for the advise!!!!!!! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 4
Original post by anonymoustony
Do the response from the audience like contemporary and modern and how it relates to context. I also agree with the other response to your question in that make it sound as though you know literature is open to different interpretations like ‘perhaps’ or ‘instead, romeo may be...’. If that makes sense

Thank you for taking the time to criticise my essay I really appreciate it!!!!!! :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending