Parents don’t want me to travel Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I’m 19 and generally have a really good relationship with my mum and dad. I’ve travelled around Europe a fair bit while 18 and 19 and they’ve never had an issue but this year I want to go to to Tokyo, Seoul and Thailand in a 3 week long trip and they have simply said no, ( with a very close friend) because of the risk of getting between places, someone smuggling drugs in my bag and general safety. I do understand their concern but I’m 19 and pretty street wise. I work very hard and wouldn’t ask for a penny off them, or even a lift to the airport but they still are just saying no. Ive fully planned out flights and soon will do the same for accommodation. I’ve said that I am going to go whatever they say and my mum said if I go I won’t have w place to come back to. Any ideas on what to do? I don’t want to go without her blessing but I am going to go.
boods8897
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Can you comprimise on a safety plan or something? Like if you promise to send them your itinerary every morning and then check in again in the evening, might be a bit of a pain for you but could make them happier? Or agree on certain areas which you would avoid, promise not to go anywhere alone, know the details for emergency services and things like that. Is your friend's parents okay with them going?
Also I would say a 3 week holiday isn't worth losing your family over, but then again it's also not worth kicking your kid out because they've gone away... Is that actually likely to happen or are your parents exaggerating and trying to guilt trip you into staying?
Anonymous #1
Yeah that’s a good idea just to show I’m taking my safety seriously and I’m not sure, she’s never threatened it before so it isn’t something she just says on the regular.
boods8897
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Do your research, come up with a safety plan that covers all their concerns and then talk to them again and see what they say once they can see you take their worries seriously. Maybe also ask your friend's parents to talk to them too (assuming their okay with you both travelling). Good luck!
Behindtheleakycaul
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Having been to both Tokyo and Seoul, I felt a lot safer there than in some cities I've been to in Europe. You should show her the crime rates for these places, and just show her that they're both wonderful cities and are a lot safer than she probably thinks. Maybe just explain that you'll message/ring her everyday so she knows you're safe, and tell her what you're planning on doing each day, and hopefully she'll come around? Maybe even show her some pictures/vlogs as she'll see they're both a lot touristy and full of people...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Behindtheleakycaul)
Having been to both Tokyo and Seoul, I felt a lot safer there than in some cities I've been to in Europe. You should show her the crime rates for these places, and just show her that they're both wonderful cities and are a lot safer than she probably thinks. Maybe just explain that you'll message/ring her everyday so she knows you're safe, and tell her what you're planning on doing each day, and hopefully she'll come around? Maybe even show her some pictures/vlogs as she'll see they're both a lot touristy and full of people...
Thanks also out of curiosity how much money would you recommend taking per day for these cities ?
boods8897
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks also out of curiosity how much money would you recommend taking per day for these cities ?
Have you considered using something like a Starling (or monzo or whatever you prefer) account instead? Starling don't take commission so it doesn't cost extra to use, and if your wallet gets stolen or something, can just block the card on the app so it's not like you lose all the money like you would if carrying cash. I don't know if that's something that would suit you but it could be worth looking in to it, might make your parents feel better - less attractive to pickpockets if don't have wads of cash.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by boods8897)
Have you considered using something like a Starling (or monzo or whatever you prefer) account instead? Starling don't take commission so it doesn't cost extra to use, and if your wallet gets stolen or something, can just block the card on the app so it's not like you lose all the money like you would if carrying cash. I don't know if that's something that would suit you but it could be worth looking in to it, might make your parents feel better - less attractive to pickpockets if don't have wads of cash.
Ah no but il 100% something il look into- and you don’t pay extra for using your card abroad?
Ghostlady
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm a mum of an 18 year old daughter, so I do kind of get how they are feeling. If this was my daughter, I want to know everything. All the plans. I would also expect my daughter to be packing her suitcase herself at all times. And that she has a facility to wire money over to her should she need it. Id also need to see the person shes travelling with and if they are responsible, not reckless. You are 19, they cannot stop you from going, but if its first time travelling without parents, Id want to make sure my daughters done all her homework on her plans/cultures etc.
boods8897
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ah no but il 100% something il look into- and you don’t pay extra for using your card abroad?
Pretty sure starling don't have fees for using it abroad and it uses the general mastercard conversion rates, I just know being able to use it abroad was the main reason my brothers got accounts (used theirs in NZ / Morocco / maybe Japan)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ghostlady)
I'm a mum of an 18 year old daughter, so I do kind of get how they are feeling. If this was my daughter, I want to know everything. All the plans. I would also expect my daughter to be packing her suitcase herself at all times. And that she has a facility to wire money over to her should she need it. Id also need to see the person shes travelling with and if they are responsible, not reckless. You are 19, they cannot stop you from going, but if its first time travelling without parents, Id want to make sure my daughters done all her homework on her plans/cultures etc.
Yeah, she knows my friend very well and il be side to make a detailed plan to show I’m taking it seriously
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (227)
67.76%
No (108)
32.24%

Watched Threads