Hull University student life

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,
Im thinking about going to Hull but I haven't got round to attending an open day as its so far away. I had a look online and I really like what I've seen physically of the uni, but I wanted to get insight from students already there. Heres some key things I'd like to know:

1. Whats the social life like in Hull outside of university? (not necessarily clubbing)
2. How diverse is the university? (religion & race wise) are there any major issues with racism/discrimination?
3. Whats your accommodation like? (particularly bathrooms as I can't seem to find any pics on the uni site!)(any private accommodation recommendations greatly appreciated!)
4. I've been told that living in Hull is really affordable, can anyone talk further about this?
5. if you could give your uni 2 stars and a wish, what would they be?

Thanks in advance! all and any contributions are appreciated
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi all,
Im thinking about going to Hull but I haven't got round to attending an open day as its so far away. I had a look online and I really like what I've seen physically of the uni, but I wanted to get insight from students already there. Heres some key things I'd like to know:

1. Whats the social life like in Hull outside of university? (not necessarily clubbing)
2. How diverse is the university? (religion & race wise) are there any major issues with racism/discrimination?
3. Whats your accommodation like? (particularly bathrooms as I can't seem to find any pics on the uni site!)(any private accommodation recommendations greatly appreciated!)
4. I've been told that living in Hull is really affordable, can anyone talk further about this?
5. if you could give your uni 2 stars and a wish, what would they be?

Thanks in advance! all and any contributions are appreciated
Not many Hull students seem to use this site, sadly. I'm a slightly older student from Hull, so I'll answer what I can.

1. Depends what you're into. I'm from Hull so my social life is mainly friends I've had for years.
2. Not super-diverse, but it depends on the course - some are more diverse than others. The area around the university is more diverse than the city.
3. Can't help here.
4. Very cheap rent, general living costs are among the lowest in the UK.
5. Stars would be the accessibility of lecturers and the quality of the library. Wish would be to make certain buildings more pleasant (some are lovely and new, others are a bit ratty).
Anonymous #1
Not many Hull students seem to use this site, sadly. I'm a slightly older student from Hull, so I'll answer what I can.

1. Depends what you're into. I'm from Hull so my social life is mainly friends I've had for years.
2. Not super-diverse, but it depends on the course - some are more diverse than others. The area around the university is more diverse than the city.
3. Can't help here.
4. Very cheap rent, general living costs are among the lowest in the UK.
5. Stars would be the accessibility of lecturers and the quality of the library. Wish would be to make certain buildings more pleasant (some are lovely and new, others are a bit ratty).
Thanks for your response it was helpful
schowdhy
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
hi im not a student at hull uni YET but i live here (im in my second year of college, 18)
1. student life is decent i'd say, we have cafes, and restaurants, lots of pubs, arcades, bowling, cinemas, an escape room, a waterstones bookshop plus a few libraries, shopping centres (search: St Stephens, Princes Quay, and Prospects Centre) and nice town with vintage shops (search: hull old town), museums, the Humber docks (search hull marina) which is lovely in the summer, gardens and more we also have a few clubs if you're into that stuff. But we are a small city so if you're comparing to a city like Manchester, York, or Leeds, then we will seem very tiny and maybe boring lol. I'd suggest coming for a visit and having a walk around the town.
2. Like the last person said, not super diverse but we do have minorities. I'm a minority myself
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_composition
this is data recorded in the 2011 census, so kinda outdated, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how diverse Hull is compared to wherever you're coming from.
3. Again, i dont live in accomodation since im still a student and have always lived in Hull, however the University area has 4 banks and 3 supermarkets at a maximum 0.7miles away. There are many vending machine and some cafes around campus but the few times I've visited, and as told by my friends who attend the Uni, we believe they are over-priced. So its better to make your own food, as with many other Universities. I need to add that I and my friends feel totally safe in the campus.
4. I've also heard and seen studies that we are a fairly cheap place to live compared to others, but i dont have much to compare it to personally sadly. However, I have friends from out of town who would say we're quite affordable.
Sorry for lack of info, and that its so late! hope this helps
Last edited by schowdhy; 2 years ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by schowdhy)
hi im not a student at hull uni YET but i live here (im in my second year of college, 18)
1. student life is decent i'd say, we have cafes, and restaurants, lots of pubs, arcades, bowling, cinemas, an escape room, a waterstones bookshop plus a few libraries, shopping centres (search: St Stephens, Princes Quay, and Prospects Centre) and nice town with vintage shops (search: hull old town), museums, the Humber docks (search hull marina) which is lovely in the summer, gardens and more we also have a few clubs if you're into that stuff. But we are a small city so if you're comparing to a city like Manchester, York, or Leeds, then we will seem very tiny and maybe boring lol. I'd suggest coming for a visit and having a walk around the town.
2. Like the last person said, not super diverse but we do have minorities. I'm a minority myself
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ic_composition
this is data recorded in the 2011 census, so kinda outdated, but hopefully it will give you an idea of how diverse Hull is compared to wherever you're coming from.
3. Again, i dont live in accomodation since im still a student and have always lived in Hull, however the University area has 4 banks and 3 supermarkets at a maximum 0.7miles away. There are many vending machine and some cafes around campus but the few times I've visited, and as told by my friends who attend the Uni, we believe they are over-priced. So its better to make your own food, as with many other Universities. I need to add that I and my friends feel totally safe in the campus.
4. I've also heard and seen studies that we are a fairly cheap place to live compared to others, but i dont have much to compare it to personally sadly. However, I have friends from out of town who would say we're quite affordable.
Sorry for lack of info, and that its so late! hope this helps
Thanks so much for this!! No need to apologise at all your insight was great for me to read.
FAZE Phluid
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Avoid longhill and bransholme.
not what you asked for, but non the less vital.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by FAZE Phluid)
Avoid longhill and bransholme.
not what you asked for, but non the less vital.
Hi, thanks for replying
Would you mind explaining why those places should be avoided? Are they dirty? Is the place unsafe? What makes you think the place is somewhere that should be avoided?
FAZE Phluid
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hi, thanks for replying
Would you mind explaining why those places should be avoided? Are they dirty? Is the place unsafe? What makes you think the place is somewhere that should be avoided?
Dirty
unsafe
high crime rate
rough counsel estates.
there just not nice places to be.
Anonymous #1
Dirty
unsafe
high crime rate
rough counsel estates.
Okay thanks for your insight
schowdhy
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Dirty
unsafe
high crime rate
rough counsel estates.
yeah and id say avoid orchard park too, everyone who lives there would tell you to stay away too. safer areas are around princes avenue, Beverly road, near the uni etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (41)
26.62%
As I expected (50)
32.47%
Harder (56)
36.36%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.55%

Watched Threads