Benching journey Watch

davesantana
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
so i've got a thread on my workouts and stuff https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6171844&page=4

and if u follow it you'll notice my squats and deadlifts are progressing well however my bench has been lagging recently and i dropping in strength(from 60kgx1 to 50kgx1) and my progress has been ****.

feel free to give me your chest workouts. mine consist of bench, incline, chest press and sometimes cable flys

road to 100kg hopefully 12 months from now.
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1RM doesn't tell much. A beginner doesn't know how to one rep max. Your strength probably hasn't changed.

What's your 3 or 5 rep max and how have you been programming it?

What are you doing for back and how has that been progressing?

What's your bodyweight?

Don't worry about a 2 plate bench in 1 year. Worry more about having healthy shoulders and all round strength. Longevity is the name of the game and that's through constantly improving good technique whilst progressively overloading.
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
1RM doesn't tell much. A beginner doesn't know how to one rep max. Your strength probably hasn't changed.

What's your 3 or 5 rep max and how have you been programming it?

What are you doing for back and how has that been progressing?

What's your bodyweight?

Don't worry about a 2 plate bench in 1 year. Worry more about having healthy shoulders and all round strength. Longevity is the name of the game and that's through constantly improving good technique whilst progressively overloading.
6'0. 70kg. bulking 80kg end of april

to be fair. i havent worked my back properly since i've focused on squats. deadlifting and occasional back rows. now that you've reminded me when i hit 60(month ago i was improving i was doing rows, pull downs and loads of others).

true. i feel embarrassed as people that start after me bench the same but gotta leave the ego at the door.

my shoulders ive been working a **** ton and have improved. overheadpress has progressed a lot
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Your back directly contributes to pushing work. Trying to be good at benching with a weak back is asking for shoulder/rotator cuff and posture issues. Your back helps you stabilise. You should be able to row what you bench, roughly.

Stick to a good routine, whether it's 3x5 starting strength or GCZL (the latter is less friendly if you don't know what exercises to do so I'd suggest something pre written).

You need to learn good technique on all exercises, especially the big compounds, and get a good level of all round BASE strength - looking at your lifts you haven't reached this yet. This will take time and practice, but you must address the whole body. For bench technique, shoulders pinned back and down, lats active, abs, legs all braced, elbows tucked. Breathing properly, bracing hard.

I'll tell you of a close friend who was only keen on getting a big bench. He did train shoulders, arms, back, legs but they were always secondary to bench - because bragging about a big bench number is sexy right?
I'd say his back was relatively weak (he wouldn't do pullups, just machines for instance). He got to 120-125kg bench weighing about 75kg - That's impressive. Fast forward a couple of years and he's had shoulder dislocation, steroid injections, shoulder surgery, frequent rotator cuff issues. He struggles to lift bags sometimes when things get triggered, and it wreaks havoc to any gym routine. He's now training much more balanced but unfortunately the permanent shoulder damage is done.

I know several other friends personally who followed similar bad bro routines and bro technique (flared elbows, struggling to get ful range of motion etc). Don't be a bro. Strengthen your back, get all your lifts up. Practice good safe technique. Get a solid base to grow from.
Last edited by silent ninja; 4 weeks ago
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by silent ninja)
Your back directly contributes to pushing work. Trying to be good at benching with a weak back is asking for shoulder/rotator cuff and posture issues. Your back helps you stabilise. You should be able to row what you bench, roughly.

Stick to a good routine, whether it's 3x5 starting strength or GCZL (the latter is less friendly if you don't know what exercises to do so I'd suggest something pre written).

You need to learn good technique on all exercises, especially the big compounds, and get a good level of all round BASE strength - looking at your lifts you haven't reached this yet. This will take time and practice, but you must address the whole body. For bench technique, shoulders pinned back and down, lats active, abs, legs all braced, elbows tucked. Breathing properly, bracing hard.

I'll tell you of a close friend who was only keen on getting a big bench. He did train shoulders, arms, back, legs but they were always secondary to bench - because bragging about a big bench number is sexy right?
I'd say his back was relatively weak (he wouldn't do pullups, just machines for instance). He got to 120-125kg bench weighing about 75kg - That's impressive. Fast forward a couple of years and he's had shoulder dislocation, steroid injections, shoulder surgery, frequent rotator cuff issues. He struggles to lift bags sometimes when things get triggered, and it wreaks havoc to any gym routine. He's now training much more balanced but unfortunately the permanent shoulder damage is done.

I know several other friends personally who followed the similar bad bro routine and bro technique (flared elbows, struggling to get ful range of motion). Don't be a bro.
Dang. Ye my form on these lifts could be much better. Like my squat at high weight i use my back ect.

Its not worth the risk yep. Last thing i want is to quit the gym for injuries then my parents wont get me a membership again due to telling me to not lift heavy weights
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're not training a proper routine, you'll end up injured. Muscle balances if you're progressing on some body parts and ignoring others will become prominent fast
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
If you're not training a proper routine, you'll end up injured. Muscle balances if you're progressing on some body parts and ignoring others will become prominent fast
Im training all body parts just slacking on back atm. Since im doing 5x5 i usually think deadlifts as a back workout but i need to do rows pulldowns ect since dl aint enough.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by davesantana)
Im training all body parts just slacking on back atm. Since im doing 5x5 i usually think deadlifts as a back workout but i need to do rows pulldowns ect since dl aint enough.
Are you doing 5x5 for deadlifts?
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Are you doing 5x5 for deadlifts?
Na. I saw on loads of programmes to do 1 or 2 sets or ur cns gonna be ****ed. Only ever did 3 sets once usually do 1 set of 60-70% 1rp for 5 reps

But i squat 2-3 a week with 5x5+.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (171)
67.06%
No (84)
32.94%

Watched Threads