Moving to England before the start of university Watch

Rafael_RMD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Greetings everyone!

I am a student from Portugal.
I'll be starting my studies in Computer Science this September and right now my most pressing question is, given Brexit Day gets closer and closer, if i'd be able to, say in March or April, pack up my stuff and move to England and find a job, so I can start to get a grasp of the UK job market and put some experience under my belt.
yadig?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes! Why not? If you're not doing anything in Portugal, I'd suggest move out and work in the UK.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which university would you be going to?
Rafael_RMD
Rep:
?
I'll be going to Northumbria in Newcastle.

How should go on about applying to jobs?
I currently work in a phone repair shop and have been here for almost 2 years, I'd love to stay in the same industry given I'm already quite used to it, however i worry my CV is rather bleak :/

I also don't have housing and would need to get that sorted in order to move, I know a bank account and NIN can wait but that's my biggest worry rn.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rafael_RMD)
I'll be going to Northumbria in Newcastle.

How should go on about applying to jobs?
I currently work in a phone repair shop and have been here for almost 2 years, I'd love to stay in the same industry given I'm already quite used to it, however i worry my CV is rather bleak :/

I also don't have housing and would need to get that sorted in order to move, I know a bank account and NIN can wait but that's my biggest worry rn.
Are you planning to move to student accomodation? If so you could contact them and see if you can move in during the summer and use that time to job hunt before term starts.
Rafael_RMD
Rep:
?
That would be a phenomenal thing!However I realize it's a wild card, I don't mind renting a room. My biggest problem so far is, how can I confidently apply for a job knowing I'm not in the country, which companies would be lenient to such a candidate?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rafael_RMD)
That would be a phenomenal thing!However I realize it's a wild card, I don't mind renting a room. My biggest problem so far is, how can I confidently apply for a job knowing I'm not in the country, which companies would be lenient to such a candidate?
Basically none - you could apply stating the date you would arrive but you will not really get any job without being available for interview, and most employers are cautious about giving jobs to anyone without a local address.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (144)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.6%
No- I want it (67)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.11%

Watched Threads