conorb03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I wanted to do History, Sociology and Psychology but Sociology and History are in the same block and need to pick one I am also going to do Crimology now.
spyter
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by conorb03)
I wanted to do History, Sociology and Psychology but Sociology and History are in the same block and need to pick one I am also going to do Crimology now.
Sociology is not particularly needed for a social work degree, but neither is History or Criminology. An A-Level in Psychology and some evidence of work experience in the industry would be more than enough for universities to accept you.

Sociology would be better if you wish to learn the subject in an institution and if you wish to have a background around social issues.

History would be better if you are not 100% sure about the degree you want to pursue. This is because it will act as a safety net, providing you with one facilitating subject (those being subjects which open more degree options). As History is a highly analytical essay subject, it will allow you to pursue most humanities degrees (such as Law, Journalism, History, Politics and International Relations, etc). Moreover, History would not stop you from pursuing the degree you currently wish to pursue. Also, if you decide you wish to study Sociology at University, you can still do that without having an A Level in it.

As such, the issue is not which subject you best NEED for your degree, but which subject you would enjoy more. I suggest you email the Colleges/Sixth Forms you wish to apply to, and ask what you will specifically study. Neither the colleges nor the teachers will mind answering those questions.

I suggest this because History is a very wide A Level. I studied the Cold War and Britain Change and Transformation 1851-1964 (both which I found very dull). Some of my friends at another college studies the Tudors and Nazi Germany, others did the War of Roses and the French Revolution.

Similarly, Sociology, depending on the exam board differs in teaching. I did the study of Education and Media (as two of our sections). Other students did Crime, Family, Religion or the Workplace.
conorb03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by spyter)
Sociology is not particularly needed for a social work degree, but neither is History or Criminology. An A-Level in Psychology and some evidence of work experience in the industry would be more than enough for universities to accept you.

Sociology would be better if you wish to learn the subject in an institution and if you wish to have a background around social issues.

History would be better if you are not 100% sure about the degree you want to pursue. This is because it will act as a safety net, providing you with one facilitating subject (those being subjects which open more degree options). As History is a highly analytical essay subject, it will allow you to pursue most humanities degrees (such as Law, Journalism, History, Politics and International Relations, etc). Moreover, History would not stop you from pursuing the degree you currently wish to pursue. Also, if you decide you wish to study Sociology at University, you can still do that without having an A Level in it.

As such, the issue is not which subject you best NEED for your degree, but which subject you would enjoy more. I suggest you email the Colleges/Sixth Forms you wish to apply to, and ask what you will specifically study. Neither the colleges nor the teachers will mind answering those questions.

I suggest this because History is a very wide A Level. I studied the Cold War and Britain Change and Transformation 1851-1964 (both which I found very dull). Some of my friends at another college studies the Tudors and Nazi Germany, others did the War of Roses and the French Revolution.

Similarly, Sociology, depending on the exam board differs in teaching. I did the study of Education and Media (as two of our sections). Other students did Crime, Family, Religion or the Workplace.
Thank you for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.18%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.1%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
38.02%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.4%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (8)
3.31%

Watched Threads