Mariapadilla
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello guys, I just wanted to know some tips to improve on chemistry. I just finished my mock off.

What techniques do you use to revise for chemistry?

Thank you
Cookiedoughlava
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Ok so I got a 6 in my chemistry GCSE. I used scienceandmathsprimrosekitten YouTube vids, they're great. Make notes from the textbook (revision book, not huge textbook), but make them pretty concise, only key info on notes that you don't know. Make revision cards with questions on and the answers on the back, flash cards should not be for consolidating info., that's for notes. And finally when it gets to April: loads of practice papers. For science the only way to get good grades is ultimately practice questions. I hope that this helps.
Mariapadilla
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try that
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
maybe Pigster can help
mollygribben_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mariapadilla)
Hello guys, I just wanted to know some tips to improve on chemistry. I just finished my mock off.

Thank you
I find textbooks if you're struggling to understand, and revision guides or Free Science Lessons on Youtube for revision. It's really easy to condense chemistry gcse down into notes if you want to, and practise questions, but I'd do them all throughout the year rather than just in april. There are lots of websites that have revision materials on for chemistry: physicsandmathstutor.com and quizlet.com are my favourites

Blurting is a very good technique for some chemistry topics and I'll leave a link to how to do that here:
https://youtu.be/CgrCo1J9A44

I did my mocks in december and got my results back last week: I got a 9 in chemistry so these tips seem to work for me
try them out and see which ones work best for you

hope this helps!
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Mariapadilla)

Thank you
Self-reflection is key. What topics do you know better than which? Don't spend as much time on the topics that are more secure, that'd be a relative waste of time. Spend more time on the stuff you don't like and are bad at (often the same thing). Don't copy your notes out or make lovely flash cards, you are busy but not using your time well.

Best to find and do questions. Most of most specs is common - all specs will do molar calcs and energy changes etc. But don't do entire past papers from other specs, there will be differences - you shouldn't do every question. When you identify areas that you're no go at, do research, discuss with your friends, speak to your teacher (in that order).

Have a goal. Why do you want to get a grade 9? If you need a 9 for a reason, you're more likely to work for it. If you just want to 'do well', you won't work as well. When you want to prat about on TSR or instatok or whatever you kids use, then you'll think to yourself. I could check my snapface feed or I could keep working and go to medical college...
HxTrinity
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello Mariapadilla
I typically find the CGP Textbooks really useful. However, that's how I learn. I average about a 9 in Chemistry mock exams so I find them really useful. Some people use free platforms like Seneca, which can be helpful, however, I prefer the good old-fashioned text book method. If you have some time, head down to Waterstones and have a look at some of there 'GCSE Chemistry Books' and find one that suits you the best.

Study regularly is another tip! This can be tricky if your addicted to games, and believe me I once was. And if you are, try unplugging your PC, everything, the power supply, your mouse, your keyboard and move your PC to the otherside of the house and try and do a little bit every day. It all adds up, trust me. Head over to the library for little to no distraction. You won't be able to find things to distract you there as your surrounded by the pure wisdom of books.

Finally ask your teacher, remember they're your friend. They want you to do well . If you don't like your chemistry teacher, then by all means, find another teacher in the science department and they might be able to help you.

Remember that practice DOES NOT make perfect.
Practice makes Progress.
Knowledge doesn't come by it's self, it's the doing which makes it knowledge.

Thank You

Hanying Hong (HxTrinity)
Mariapadilla
Rep:
?
Thank you so much
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
past papers so I could maybe guess what questions were going to be asked
Mariapadilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
past papers so I could maybe guess what questions were going to be asked
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.79%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.97%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (27)
46.55%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (9)
15.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed