The Student Room Group

How can I hide the reason I get extra time in exams?

It is my first university exam tomorrow and I am entitled to extra time because of my psychotic disorder, I have not told anyone (my peers) at university about this because I have received negative reactions to my psychotic disorder by people in general (before I started uni). What should I say to anyone who asks why I wasn't in the main exam hall and get extra time? They may see me at my special exam venue. Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
ok firstly you have no need to worry since it is not anyones business why you get extra time, you don't need to explain yourself and I'm 95% sure there will be other people with extra time too. but if you really want something to say just say "ah i have a little condition so i needed a little more tome" and brush it off quickly if the subject makes you feel uncomfortable to talk about. if they ask what the condition is just say that you'd rather not talk about it with a smile and talk about something different!
First of all nobody is entitled to know why you need special arrangements for your exams, that’s your business to share so don’t feel pressured into doing so. If anyone does ask persistently enough that you have to give an answer and aren’t comfortable with the truth then i would suggest saying something generic for example: i used to have extra time and still have a separate room bc i have anxiety that prevents me from being able to work effectively in standard conditions- i also know of people who have massive exam anxiety that rarely affects them otherwise get extra time/smaller rooms so you could just answer with ‘i can get really bad anxiety during exams’ or something along those lines, or you could just tell them to stop being so damn nosy which is a solid option tbh
Tbh in my uni exams we didn't really notice who was elsewhere for extra time, partly because we were often split between two rooms anyway and partly because we were busy stressing. General assumption always seemed to be that the people with extra time were dyslexic or had anxiety so it's not really something where people tend to ask for details. If you are asked, just say you had extra time and then immediately ask how they found the exam or which question they answered - natural and subtle conversation change. Don't feel you have to tell anything you don't want people knowing.
Reply 4
Thank you everyone! Do you think it is ok for me to just say I have general anxiety when I go back to uni for the next semester if anyone was to ask? I've really enjoyed uni so far and dont want to allow this to screw it up, actually worried about the prospect of being bullied for it too
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you everyone! Do you think it is ok for me to just say I have general anxiety when I go back to uni for the next semester if anyone was to ask? I've really enjoyed uni so far and dont want to allow this to screw it up, actually worried about the prospect of being bullied for it too

Of course that's okay! You can say whatever you like about it :smile:

My friend had extra time and a separate room for her exams due to diagnosed anxiety & depression - it’s not uncommon :smile:
Reply 7

Of course, I have a separate room and used to have extra time for my anxiety, as people have said it’s really common

Quick Reply

Latest