Am i being rejected because of the Uni i went to; should i do a Masters? Watch

Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm hoping to get some advice from people on here. I graduated in 2017 from a middling uni with a degree in Economics. I passed with a high 2:1 and went to work in the Civil Service as an Economist. My contract there came to an end in November 2019 and I have since been applying for jobs in the same field, but with no luck or success.

I apply through LinkedIn mostly but also through traditional means. I have attended a few interviews but i haven't been successful and i'm starting to suspect it may be to do with the Uni i went to. Virtually everyone i worked with went to the Russell Group universities and the few that didn't topped their degrees up with Masters. I'm not sure i'd like to pursue Economics as a career but i think that a degree from a RG university will help. Trawling through LinkedIn, i can see that most of the people who hold the best spots attended those unis. I'm lucky that i live in a town with one of the top unis and my parents will allow me to stay home and pursue a Masters if i wanted to.

So is it worth it to do one, and will it help me stand out to employers?
Tredoltle
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Please could you specify which university you went to? It'll help a bit more in forming an opinion on whether it actually is to do with the university or not..!
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'd suspect it's more likely you're not making enough of your 2 years experience in the civil service in your CV, interviewing poorly or you're going for the wrong sort of job
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Well - if you are getting interviews you are seen as a good enough candidate, so its not your university or your CV. At this stage I would apply for more jobs and work on interview skills.
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
I'd suspect it's more likely you're not making enough of your 2 years experience in the civil service in your CV, interviewing poorly or you're going for the wrong sort of job
Okay. How can i make the most of my CV? I've not had to look at or change it for almost 3 years now. Where would i be able to get some help in making it look good.

What do you mean by the part in bold? I'm going for other Economist jobs as well as those in the financial sector.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Okay. How can i make the most of my CV? I've not had to look at or change it for almost 3 years now. Where would i be able to get some help in making it look good.

What do you mean by the part in bold? I'm going for other Economist jobs as well as those in the financial sector.
Watch this step by step video telling you how https://youtu.be/_fP43gcBywU
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
Okay. How can i make the most of my CV? I've not had to look at or change it for almost 3 years now.
That is the problem then!

You should be tailoring your CV for every single job you apply for. The problem isn't your undergrad institution, it's that you aren't leveraging your experience and tailoring your CV. You can get advice using the private CV Help forum here on TSR.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (49)
30.43%
No (84)
52.17%
Don't know (28)
17.39%

Watched Threads