how long does it take before ink to fade in a diary?

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
i'm writing with a blue biro and it's in a basic journal book that i keep on a shelf. i wanna keep this for decades to look back on but it might fade before then. is it possible for the writing to still be intact for a really long time? i don't want to keep writing if it's just going to fade within the next 5 years
MysticImogen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Should be ok for far longer than 5 years just dont get it wet or exposed to light
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by MysticImogen)
Should be ok for far longer than 5 years just dont get it wet or exposed to light
i swear it’s already starting to fade and i’ve only been writing in it a month.
also i’m talking decades. like in 20-30 years
Snagglepup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
super cheap pens and paper will fade but will still be readable long into the future
TSR George
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snagglepup)
super cheap pens and paper will fade but will still be readable long into the future
how long into the future?
i’m using a normal blue biro and i’m writing in a leather journal.
Snagglepup
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by big-L)
how long into the future?
i’m using a normal blue biro and i’m writing in a leather journal.
even the cheapest materials available today will be better than stuff from hundreds of years ago yet much of that is still readable
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
even the cheapest materials available today will be better than stuff from hundreds of years ago yet much of that is still readable
Not sure that is the case, cheap modern paper can yellow as it contains bleach / acid to make it a nice white colour ...... to begin with. See the link below for a really good discussion.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/car...ebrochure.html

Some very old (100s of years) velum documents or old-school rag / cotton papers are in a much better state than cheap soft back books from 20 years ago.
Snagglepup
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Not sure that is the case, cheap modern paper can yellow as it contains bleach / acid to make it a nice white colour ...... to begin with. See the link below for a really good discussion.

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/car...ebrochure.html

Some very old (100s of years) velum documents or old-school rag / cotton papers are in a much better state than cheap soft back books from 20 years ago.
I've got plenty of things that were written on cheap stuff from 20-30 years ago that are still easily readable
TSR George
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I've got plenty of things that were written on cheap stuff from 20-30 years ago that are still easily readable
i write in a leuchtturm bullet journal with a biro. they’re pretty good quality i assume?
Celtic Conjurer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Instantly if it’s a horcrux.
TSR George
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by big-L)
i write in a leuchtturm bullet journal with a biro. they’re pretty good quality i assume?
does this sound like it will last? i don’t want to put loads of effort into journaling if it’s going to disappear in 5 years
velvethopes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You should be fine. I still have things on cheap paper written on with biro or pencil from nearly like, 15-17 years ago when I was in nursery, and it's still as clear as anything really. As above says, as long as it doesn't get exposed to light or water (which it won't when closed on a shelf, of course) then it shouldn't fade. The current fading you're seeing now is likely just from continuing to use the journal, and the ink drying properly, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads