?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This thread is for people to talk about:
training
nutrition
lifts
videos(if u want)
anything gym related

You dont have to be fit to join discussions i'm sure loads are in your position and we can help you out.

i'll be posting daily(dont hold me for it if i dont) questions and motivation(al quotes) stories and other things to get you all fit af.

rules:
-civil
-not to discuss injuries unless they're ok with it.
-derailing/off-topic posts

i'll tag some popular gym goers

illusionz It's****ingWOODY Bang Outta Order Zain_Ahmed Angry cucumber Schutz88
Last edited by davesantana; 1 month ago
davesantana
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
what made you start going gym/lifting?
Schutz88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lifting heavy feels good lol. I used to do bodyweight stuff and sprinting, this is way better. Also my gf at the time didn't tell me I was skinny because she liked me, but I could tell she wanted me to gain some muscle. Now I feel better and girls feel better around me not looking like a ghoul.
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by Schutz88)
Lifting heavy feels good lol. I used to do bodyweight stuff and sprinting, this is way better. Also my gf at the time didn't tell me I was skinny because she liked me, but I could tell she wanted me to gain some muscle. Now I feel better and girls feel better around me not looking like a ghoul.
Same. Absolutely hated myself looking back at my old pics. Literally a skeleton in uniform. Its lowkey satisfying having that lower back ache after deadlifting as well as the adreline after u do a rpm
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Started going for the same reason as anyone else, to get bigger/look better.

Why do I still go? It's satisfying lifting heavy stuff, I have a natural aptitude for the lower body lifts and want to do more powerlifting. Plus once you start lifting you are forever small.
davesantana
Rep:
?
(Original post by illusionz)
Started going for the same reason as anyone else, to get bigger/look better.

Why do I still go? It's satisfying lifting heavy stuff, I have a natural aptitude for the lower body lifts and want to do more powerlifting. Plus once you start lifting you are forever small.
Cant disagree with that. However ive always been for strength than size tbh.
davesantana
Rep:
?
How does 1 aquire elite genetics, does it have to do with being related to saxons. Surely its environmental such as if my son starts gym b4 puberty and so does his son, the next generation will have 'good' genetics i assume.
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We needed one of these threads, as an avid gym goer I can barely find any good threads 👍
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by davesantana)
Cant disagree with that. However ive always been for strength than size tbh.
That's what we all say publicly but deep down we all just want to smash Tinder.
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How does 1 aquire elite genetics, does it have to do with being related to saxons. Surely its environmental such as if my son starts gym b4 puberty and so does his son, the next generation will have 'good' genetics i assume.
I'm guessing it works like that, no intended racism but black people especially around the Carribbean area have the best genetics in terms of sports and physical capability and I'm assuming that's due to the majority of their ancestors being slaves. Hard labour and tireless work made them incredibly strong
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread is for people to talk about:
training
nutrition
lifts
videos(if u want)
anything gym related

You dont have to be fit to join discussions i'm sure loads are in your position and we can help you out.

i'll be posting daily(dont hold me for it if i dont) questions and motivation(al quotes) stories and other things to get you all fit af.

rules:
-civil
-not to discuss injuries unless they're ok with it.
-derailing/off-topic posts

i'll tag some popular gym goers

illusionz It's****ingWOODY Bang Outta Order Zain_Ahmed Angry cucumber Schutz88
I lift at home G.. Never been gym :dumbells:
I eat a lot of meat and a lot of greens, I also drink a lot of water. I use a mixture of strength and hypertrophy to get both strength and muscle gains. I also dance as a form of cardio and just for fun LOL... It mostly comes down to genetics. I naturally have big arms, shoulders and small waist.
Schutz88
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your genetics are a constant. The only part of your genome that changes relates to epigenetics: Changes that don't alter your DNA, but still have an effect on your body's composition. Basically like extra DNA adaptations. Your genotype is your genes, your phenotype is what you are because of your genes and your environment.
The only thing you can change is your environment, so anything you do in life will change your epigenetics. Your kids will actually inherit parts of your epigenetics too. If you workout, study, accept challenges, enjoy life, the effects those things have on you remain part of your genome. Chances are your kids will inherit parts of that too, as well as your genetics. This is also kind of nature vs nurture but obviously both are important. So lift, talk to women, don't be a soyboy. Your kids will thank you for it.

And yeah this is kinda long but I hope it answers everything.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How on earth would good genetics be anything to do with being a Saxon? A group of people who last existed in their entirety approximately 1500 years ago.

Lifting genetics has nothing to do with your parents exercise history. Epigenetics have minimum evidence for heritability.

What genetics you have are entirely linked to your DNA. Most people are just average. The only way to find where your limit is, is to lift.

(Original post by Zed03)
I'm guessing it works like that, no intended racism but black people especially around the Carribbean area have the best genetics in terms of sports and physical capability and I'm assuming that's due to the majority of their ancestors being slaves. Hard labour and tireless work made them incredibly strong
There is some evidence of different people groups being better at some sports. However much of the difference between groups of people is cultural. there is no one super colour of skin affecting intelligence or athletic performance. It also has categorically nothing to do with the enslavement of Africans; as above epigenetics aren't evidenced as being heritable enough to influence athletic performance.

the "I'm not racist but" trope is strong with your comment.
Last edited by Angry cucumber; 1 month ago
Schutz88
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the above comment but just I don't agree that there is absolutely no carry-over of epigenetics. Of course most of it is DNA, but parts of your environmental adaptations could influence your children. I read that usually about 1% of epigenetic tags aren't erased when reproducing.

Plus this way of thinking that race has no effect on people is just insane. Colour doesn't affect how high your jump is obviously. But that fact is genes responsible for darker skin and genes responsible for being a better runner usually come hand in hand, NOT that one affects the other.

He basically said "I'm not racist, but I think africans are strong because they work hard". So your comment about racism is absolutely out of place and just there to get you more internet good boy points.
illusionz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The fitness blogs section has several people's logs and is more active than here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (477)
59.4%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.35%
No- I want it (230)
28.64%
No- I don't want it (53)
6.6%

Watched Threads