Best places to apply for first part time job? Watch

Hira1258
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I need to get my first part time job, such as retail/customer service job so I can start earning money to save for things like driving lessons etc, too many places want people who are already experienced, I've never had a job before so as you can see this is a problem for me, so where are the best places to apply for as a first job? No fast-food places please, I'm in year 12 btw if that helps with anything haha
medscorer2020
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Hira1258)
I need to get my first part time job, such as retail/customer service job so I can start earning money to save for things like driving lessons etc, too many places want people who are already experienced, I've never had a job before so as you can see this is a problem for me, so where are the best places to apply for as a first job? No fast-food places please, I'm in year 12 btw if that helps with anything haha
Have you thought about working for a tuition company? e.g kumon
zombie2233
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mcdonalds
Slickdave
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why not McDonald's... are you too good for it or something?

everyone these days seems to expect to land a 50k a year management job for their first work experience.

Learn to walk before you run.
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by medscorer2020)
Have you thought about working for a tuition company? e.g kumon
There aren't any vacancies for the Kumon centre near me unfortunately, thank you though!
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by zombie2233)
Mcdonalds
Thank you, but my only reason for not applying to mcdonalds is because I get nauseous really bad when handling meat, I'm not snobby haha
daintydaisy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What about a cafe or a restaurant as a server?
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by Slickdave)

everyone these days seems to expect to land a 50k a year management job for their first work experience.

My reason for not wanting to work at McDonalds is because I get nauseous easily when handling meat so I'd rather not work somewhere I'd want to vomit every 5 seconds with the potential of spreading germs in people's food and possibly yours unless that's what you like lol, I'm not expecting to become the CEO of a company for my first job or even get a placement at somewhere high end like John Lewis etc, so yes you'll be pleased to know I'm happily walking
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by daintydaisy)
What about a cafe or a restaurant as a server?
I'll definitely look into it, thank you
zombie2233
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Slickdave)

Chill out, OP has a medical reason behind it.
zombie2233
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, but my only reason for not applying to mcdonalds is because I get nauseous really bad when handling meat, I'm not snobby haha
That’s okay
nbhdx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tescos/morrison’s? they have non food departments that could suit someone at school
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
i agree with McDonalds. you don't have to handle meat if you work up front (counter or drive thru).

but if you're that sensitive, Subway?
mypwnsupport
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ask pubs and restaurants nearby, they may need waiters and pot washers
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by nbhdx)
tescos/morrison’s? they have non food departments that could suit someone at school
Will deffo look into it, thanks
Hira1258
Rep:
?

(Original post by Joleee)
i agree with McDonalds. you don't have to handle meat if you work up front (counter or drive thru).

but if you're that sensitive, Subway?
I'll take a look, thanks
ella1902
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Independently run places or places thought of as “low-end” (e.g primark). Retail shops which are more respectable (basically anything H&M upwards) and chain restaurants (not including fast food) are almost always going to require experience. Go for small local cafes or primark.
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by ella1902)
Independently run places or places thought of as “low-end” (e.g primark). Retail shops which are more respectable (basically anything H&M upwards) and chain restaurants (not including fast food) are almost always going to require experience. Go for small local cafes or primark.
Makes a lot of sense, thank you
.N.A.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

I'll take a look, thanks
Hey Hira, why not try a Call Centre - I've heard they take quite a few students!
Hira1258
Rep:
?
(Original post by .N.A.)
Hey Hira, why not try a Call Centre - I've heard they take quite a few students!
That sounds like a great idea, do you know any companies that I could apply for perhaps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (469)
66.62%
No (235)
33.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed