Blood test Watch

Anonymou5l
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Im getting a blood test tmr and im so scared.
does it hurt?
what does a blood test find?
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymou5l)
does it hurt?
I was so nervous to get my first blood test as well ! I was very scared that it would show that I was going to die or something dramatic like that. I booked a blood test because I had bad boating and wanted to see if they could find the cause! There are different types of tests so I can’t be completely sure but they check for intolerances and any vitamin deficiencies etc some test cholesterol levels etc. They really don’t hurt at all I would say much less than vaccinations and just feels like a sharp sting and feels slightly funny like suction for a few seconds! Please don’t worry about having it done it’s over within a matter of seconds it’s just the build up to it which doesn’t help!
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I was so nervous to get my first blood test as well ! I was very scared that it would show that I was going to die or something dramatic like that. I booked a blood test because I had bad boating and wanted to see if they could find the cause! There are different types of tests so I can’t be completely sure but they check for intolerances and any vitamin deficiencies etc some test cholesterol levels etc. They really don’t hurt at all I would say much less than vaccinations and just feels like a sharp sting and feels slightly funny like suction for a few seconds! Please don’t worry about having it done it’s over within a matter of seconds it’s just the build up to it which doesn’t help!
Thank you for taking time out to respond =)
I cant wait to just get it over and done with, i can totally relate im so dramatic as well 😂
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Dont worry you have nothing to worry about, it's all over in next to no time, it's the build up that makes it worse.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
does it hurt?
The needle they use is so thin. It just feels like a sharp scratch, and you only feel it for a second.

Regarding what it finds, that depends on what the doctor is looking for. There are hundreds of things that can be tested, but your GP (or whoever has ordered this test) will have selected certain things to measure.
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
Dont worry you have nothing to worry about, it's all over in next to no time, it's the build up that makes it worse.
🤞I cant wait for it to be over and done with, this is my first time getting a BT
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
The needle they use is so thin. It just feels like a sharp scratch, and you only feel it for a second.

Regarding what it finds, that depends on what the doctor is looking for. There are hundreds of things that can be tested, but your GP (or whoever has ordered this test) will have selected certain things to measure.
Thank you for sharing your response = ) I appreciate it
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
🤞I cant wait for it to be over and done with, this is my first time getting a BT
I'm sure you will be fine.
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol one of the first times I had a blood test the nurse sucked out half a glass of blood out of my arm and it started to go numb. I would consider myself very defensive and I thought she was killing me so I was so close to punching her. Good thing I didn't 😅😅

No it doesn't hurt all you feel is a little pinch
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
don't worry - I always look away from before she inserts the needle so I'm taken by surprise and I don't feel it. The anticipation is worse than the pain good luck
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Zed03)
Lol one of the first times I had a blood test the nurse sucked out half a glass of blood out of my arm and it started to go numb. I would consider myself very defensive and I thought she was killing me so I was so close to punching her. Good thing I didn't 😅😅

What an incredibly normal thing to think
Zed03
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
What an incredibly normal thing to think
Well I didn't say it was normal 😂
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zed03)

hope so. im just v dramatic, prbly just overthinking it 😂
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
don't worry - I always look away from before she inserts the needle so I'm taken by surprise and I don't feel it. The anticipation is worse than the pain good luck
Definitely! and thank youu 💞
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Get over yourself - of course it will hurt a little bit. Stop being so precious - you are having a blood test for a reason
Popja, what is this behaviour?
aciana
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Popja, what is this behaviour?
She's a jumped-up nurse with a superiority complex. Best to do what everyone else did and ignore her.
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
does it hurt?
It finds - or doesn't find - whatever they were checking for. E.g. the last time I had a blood test, the doctor wanted to check my vitamin D levels and they scheduled my routine yearly bloods to line up with that. So my last blood test was my annual bloods (checking what they check every year which I know what they're checking for against what's normal) + my vitamin D levels.

No it doesn't hurt. It's a scratch. The people who take your blood will probably warn you of a "sharp scratch" then keep chatting small talk then next thing you know it's done.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
i didn’t feel anything when i had mine done lol i said “is it in yet” and it had been in for like 20 seconds without me realising
Jasmine.bx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’ll be fine good luck!
Anonymou5l
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jasmine.bx)
You’ll be fine good luck!
thank you! =)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (48)
31.37%
No (79)
51.63%
Don't know (26)
16.99%

Watched Threads