The Student Room Group

Girlfriend is antisemitic

She claimed she isnt but supports everyone in politics who is antisemitic. She even went to see the person who has clear cut evidence of being antisemitic. Each time she and my friends are confronted by others, they angrily defend their favourites and reject any opposing views, calling others disgusting people.

My friends and her know I'm Jewish but I showcase myself as progressive and I dissociate with my Israeli side due to extreme pro Arab atmosphere amongst my friends and gf.

What do I do? Can such a relationship succeed? Or should I break up?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, break up with her.
who does she support who is so anti-semetic
Reply 3
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson
Yes, break up with her.

Could you please elaborate?
She’s anti Semitic
clearly she's not actually anti-semetic or she wouldn't be dating you, best thing to do is just honestly say to her that you're worried she supports people who are anti-semetic and have a convo about it
Reply 6
Original post by Snagglepup
clearly she's not actually anti-semetic or she wouldn't be dating you, best thing to do is just honestly say to her that you're worried she supports people who are anti-semetic and have a convo about it

I have told her but she gets angry and defends them saying there's nothing antisemitic. shes dating me because like I said I dissociate from my Israeli roots and act progressive.
Reply 7
Is the person who they follow who has "clear cut evidence of being antisemitic" some form of influential person or politician?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PBarry
If she is 'anti-semetic' then why would she be in a relationship with someone who is Jewish? But if you are 100% certain then i think you will make the right and most obvious decision. And is the person who they follow who has

Because I'm not associating myself with Israel. I act like I'm not from there. And shes also for the mandate that israel should be wiped out from the map just like all my other friends.
I don't think you should be acting anything with someone unless you're just after a hook-up for a while, if you want a serious relationship you shouldn't be acting progressive unless you are, and if the relationship doesn't work out because of that then better to be out of it now rather than later
I don't think you should be acting anything with someone unless you're just after a hook-up for a while, if you want a serious relationship you shouldn't be acting progressive unless you are, and if the relationship doesn't work out because of that then better to be out of it now rather than later

I have faced antisemitic abuse before since the college was so pro arab so I just decided to protect myself by disassociating from Israel. That's why I'm liked and included in this group.
personally would rather not have friends than fake friends who actually hate me and my beliefs
Antisemites don't date Jews, just like White Supremacists don't date non-Whites. End of discussion. It doesn't matter that she might happen to agree with some things some antisemites say - so would I if what they were saying was "lentils are a fantastically versatile and affordable cookery ingredient".
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Antisemites don't date Jews, just like White Supremacists don't date non-Whites. End of discussion. It doesn't matter that she might happen to agree with some things some antisemites say - so would I if what they were saying was "lentils are a fantastically versatile and affordable cookery ingredient".

Already said they like me since I act like I'm not Israeli

And also because I agree with everything they say. They have harassed other Jewish students and want israel to be wiped off or destroyed
You've already said they know you're Jewish though, so clearly they're not antisemitic. Have you considered, just for a moment, that perhaps they just have some grievences about the state of Israel?
You've already said they know you're Jewish though, so clearly they're not antisemitic. Have you considered, just for a moment, that perhaps they just have some grievences about the state of Israel?

Did you read this ?

"I'm not a racist my boyfriend is a Jew" is just as cliche as the "I have a black friend" defence.

OP, dump her. You deserve better. Some differences in opinion are justifiable, some really aren't.
Some of her best friends are Jews..........

Seriously (are you at SOAS?) - ditch the gf and ditch the friends. You can do better.
She probably wouldn't be dating you if she is, but have a conversation about it and say it makes you uncomfortable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending