One semester of MSc has completely burnt me out... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I went from undergraduate getting a reasonably high 1st (80% overall) and was really looking forward to postgraduate study...

Within a single semester I've lost a lot of motivation and been completely burnt out, and I'm now worried I'm going to fail my exams and incur the £150+ reassessment fees, which I'm sure I can't afford...

I've found the workload has increased by at least 4 times! I'm doing twice the amount of work compared to 3rd year of my BSc for half the number of credits.

I've truly been burnt out in a single semester.

I had an exam yesterday and I think it went pretty badly, it'll be a close pass at best.

I don't want to complain to my personal tutor and they'd probably think its just me complaining.

Has anyone else had a sort of culture shock going from 3rd year of undergraduate to postgraduate?
WazzWazz98
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I went from undergraduate getting a reasonably high 1st (80% overall) and was really looking forward to postgraduate study...

Within a single semester I've lost a lot of motivation and been completely burnt out, and I'm now worried I'm going to fail my exams and incur the £150+ reassessment fees, which I'm sure I can't afford...

I've found the workload has increased by at least 4 times! I'm doing twice the amount of work compared to 3rd year of my BSc for half the number of credits.

I've truly been burnt out in a single semester.

I had an exam yesterday and I think it went pretty badly, it'll be a close pass at best.

I don't want to complain to my personal tutor and they'd probably think its just me complaining.

Has anyone else had a sort of culture shock going from 3rd year of undergraduate to postgraduate?
Definitely talk to your tutor and potentially other course mates as well! Don't think of it as complaining but rather seeking advice from someone who is older and wiser.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by WazzWazz98)
Definitely talk to your tutor and potentially other course mates as well! Don't think of it as complaining but rather seeking advice from someone who is older and wiser.
I know one of my other course mates has been breaking down and been to their tutor about the workload etc.

But in reality, they aren't going to change the course just for a couple students.

I can't apply for extenuating circumstances because there aren't any. I'm just struggling academically.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A lot of people on my MSc who have come straight from undergrad are struggling with the jump, especially those that are used to getting firsts and are now only getting passes. There's a lot more independent work that requires a lot more depth and more research, and a lot less guidance than at BSc. I feel that those of us who took a few years out and got experience etc are putting less stress on ourselves, perhaps because we're a bit more mature and have taken time out from education, I know I'm personally not used to getting good marks so I don't expect to get them at MSc anyway so less there's pressure on me.

I don't know if I can offer any advice but know that you're not alone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (499)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.15%
No- I want it (237)
28.38%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads