Katiemick8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have a room booked with DwellStudent for next year, but have just dropped out of uni due to severe mental health. They need me to find a replacement tenant.

I haven't been able to find one, so am worried that I will be trapped and unable to try and get on with my life. I am unable to pay the rent, let alone pay the rent and my own rent at the same time. I am unable to work and don't want to have to rely on my gurantor.

Have I ruined my life?
Snagglepup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you've not ruined your life but it is a tough situation you just have to get down to business looking, only real option you have
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Check your contract and what it says properly
Have you signed anythign yet?
Early days anyway, I reckon you will find someone
Katiemick8
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have signed a contract with DwellStudent, and last week I dropped out of uni after a suicide attempt. They won't release me from my booking for a room for next year unless I find a replacement. I have been unable to get a replacement so far.

I won't be going back to my uni but I cant even consider reapplying somewhere else until I know that Im no longer liable for the rent.

Do I have any options or have I messed my whole life up. I cannot afford the rent, I am unable to work due to illness, Im too proud to claim benefits and even then they wouldnt even cover the rent, and I dont want my gurantor to have to pay.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Katiemick8)
I have signed a contract with DwellStudent, and last week I dropped out of uni after a suicide attempt. They won't release me from my booking for a room for next year unless I find a replacement. I have been unable to get a replacement so far.

I won't be going back to my uni but I cant even consider reapplying somewhere else until I know that Im no longer liable for the rent.

Do I have any options or have I messed my whole life up. I cannot afford the rent, I am unable to work due to illness, Im too proud to claim benefits and even then they wouldnt even cover the rent, and I dont want my gurantor to have to pay.
I have checked and theres no way out other than finding a replacement tenant.
The good thing is you have plenty of time between now and September to find someone.
You might speed this up by effort put into advertising and maybe later by offering a bonus to anyone successfully taking over the contract.
Many people will not have sorted out accommodation yet.

If you have severe MH issues, then you shouldnt be considering going back to uni and should think about getting your situation under control or you risk going through the same again.

Not sure what pride has to do with claiming benefits, but your choice.
You also wont have any option if you cant work and you dont find a replacement in time, to avoid your guarantor being drawn in. I assume they know you have left university etc? Be sure to leave uni formally and with a doctors note.

Then either you or get a friend to help advertise the place. You can even offer a bonus/ finders fee for either the person taking the place or the person who found them. Imo it would be worth it just to get the tenancy off your hands.

You havent messed your whole life up, but you need to decide if you can do this task or you can get a friend to help.
Fingers crossed from then on. Maybe try it without any incentive for a month and then start offering one? GL and focus on MH after. I think you have time because the year hasnt started.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (46)
24.73%
No, but I have thought about it (50)
26.88%
No (90)
48.39%

Watched Threads