Too early to start mini-pupillage applications? Watch

Pythian
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello gang,

So, I've just finished my first term at university. I should get my exam results in a 2 weeks or so for the Jan exams.

Do you guys think it's a bit silly/foolish to make an application this early in my degree. I want to start doing this; but don't want to give the wrong impression to chambers.

Are they expecting people with at least one year grades under-their-belts?

Appreciate the advice.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sure some sets will only accept second or third year undergraduates, but for most the requirement is that you are studying or have completed an undergraduate degree. You won't give the wrong impression by applying now. It's perfectly standard to start looking at mini pupillages once you've started at university, so there's no problem putting in applications now at all.
username5130140
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Cath Boggan)
Attachment 875698
I want to be a barrister all of a sudden.
Pythian
Badges: 11
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
I'm sure some sets will only accept second or third year undergraduates, but for most the requirement is that you are studying or have completed an undergraduate degree. You won't give the wrong impression by applying now. It's perfectly standard to start looking at mini pupillages once you've started at university, so there's no problem putting in applications now at all.
Hello there Jamie.

Thank you. I've asked around here @ Uni and decided to wait until the results are in and start sending them out in a month or so.

May I ask you another question. I have noticed that there are "assessed mini-pupillages". I assume this is until you've had a few under your belt?
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pythian)
Hello there Jamie.

Thank you. I've asked around here @ Uni and decided to wait until the results are in and start sending them out in a month or so.

May I ask you another question. I have noticed that there are "assessed mini-pupillages". I assume this is until you've had a few under your belt?
Not necessarily. An assessed mini pupillage is simply one where the barristers that you are with will (as the name suggests) make some sort of assessment of you. It's generally used so that the set has that assessment of you when you come to apply for pupillage, but it's not necessarily something that you can prepare for by doing non assessed mini pupillage, because the format of those may be entirely different, and there's no guarantee that what you learn on them will in any way prepare you for an assessed mini pupillage. Quite apart from not knowing how previous mini pupillages will affect your performance, you also won't know to what extent that assessment impacts on your pupillage application. So I'd honestly say that it's something that you broadly don't need to worry about. Even if you did an assessed mini pupillage and performed so poorly that they never want to hear your name uttered in their corridors again (highly unlikely), that is just one set, which in the grand scheme of things isn't going to do much to affect your chances of securing pupillage generally one way or the other. I would understand leaving an assessed mini pupillage until you've got a bit more experience, but as much as I see that logic in the round I doubt it would make a massive difference one way or the other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (46)
31.72%
No (76)
52.41%
Don't know (23)
15.86%

Watched Threads