is uni necessay to become a professional translator? Watch

Toscana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
i want to learn japanese and translate japanese into english for a living. could i do this without having to go to uni and gather loads of debt
jennaq
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You’ll likely need a degree, or a Diploma in Translation (DipTrans), which also has fees involved but nowhere near as much as studying for a degree.
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by jennaq)
You’ll likely need a degree, or a Diploma in Translation (DipTrans), which also has fees involved but nowhere near as much as studying for a degree.
what would you recommend personally?
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
DipTrans can help, but often just fluency as indicated by any number of standardised tests will do it
jennaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Toscana)
what would you recommend personally?
A lot of jobs will want a degree. But the DipTrans is a high standard set across the industry so I’m sure finding work with it would be relatively easy. It’s more about proving your efficacy in the language I think.
Toscana
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
DipTrans can help, but often just fluency as indicated by any number of standardised tests will do it
thats what im thinking. if i have evidence saying i am fluent to whatever level then that should be enough really but idk
Toscana
Rep:
?
A lot of jobs will want a degree. But the DipTrans is a high standard set across the industry so I’m sure finding work with it would be relatively easy. It’s more about proving your efficacy in the language I think.
oh yeah i getcha. i think i might just go for the degree since its not 100% guaranteed that im paying back the loans. theres also the year abroad i get which will greatly increase language skills and as a result help me find work quicker
jennaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh yeah i getcha. i think i might just go for the degree since its not 100% guaranteed that im paying back the loans. theres also the year abroad i get which will greatly increase language skills and as a result help me find work quicker
If that’s what you want to do, go for it, a degree will definitely open up a lot of opportunities both whilst you’re completing it and afterwards (e.g. work experience) and increase your employability. The DipTrans could also be worked towards after completing the degree, I believe it’s postgraduate level?
Toscana
Rep:
?
If that’s what you want to do, go for it, a degree will definitely open up a lot of opportunities both whilst you’re completing it and afterwards (e.g. work experience) and increase your employability. The DipTrans could also be worked towards after completing the degree, I believe it’s postgraduate level?
is there any point in getting the diploma afterwards? sounds like a waste of money/time. unless getting the diploma ON TOP of the degree will statistically make me more money or smth?
jennaq
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
is there any point in getting the diploma afterwards? sounds like a waste of money/time. unless getting the diploma ON TOP of the degree will statistically make me more money or smth?
You won’t need them both to find work. But the higher paid jobs are going to be more competitive, and this is where having both will give you the edge. I’d imagine as you move further up and gain more experience, getting the DipTrans won’t matter as much (though don’t quote me on that) since you will be able to include that experience on your CV and gain credibility. Whereas if you did get the diploma soon after doing your degree, you may find it easier to find work whilst you lack experience. It might be worth doing a job search on indeed, writing down what most employers are asking for and see where that takes you & have a look for some careers pathways. That might give you a good idea on if a degree, or a degree + diploma would be best.
Toscana
Rep:
?
You won’t need them both to find work. But the higher paid jobs are going to be more competitive, and this is where having both will give you the edge. I’d imagine as you move further up and gain more experience, getting the DipTrans won’t matter as much (though don’t quote me on that) since you will be able to include that experience on your CV and gain credibility. Whereas if you did get the diploma soon after doing your degree, you may find it easier to find work whilst you lack experience. It might be worth doing a job search on indeed, writing down what most employers are asking for and see where that takes you & have a look for some careers pathways. That might give you a good idea on if a degree, or a degree + diploma would be best.
holy crap thanks for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (172)
66.67%
No (86)
33.33%

Watched Threads