Starting uni as a 16 year old Watch

ATA3453
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've applied to uni and will be starting in September as a 16 year old and I'm for lack of a better word ****ting myself. Is this a massive mistake, will I regret my decision or will it be one of the best decisions I make. Idk I'm just a bit stressed about it it's something I do want to do and is my own choice. I just need some tips and stuff like that
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
What uni? What course?
How come you've decided to start uni so early?

Tips:
- don't worry! Be open to change and get to know people around you / make friends!
- if you're ever worried speak to your personal tutor.

Good luck!
dylan_mcgowann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I would just never tell anyone my age and say to them, ha sorry I just don't drink or get mocktails!
Tenacity Deshad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How are you applying to uni at under 18. Do you have GCSE’s and a form of Level 3 award already,????
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ATA3453)
I've applied to uni and will be starting in September as a 16 year old and I'm for lack of a better word ****ting myself. Is this a massive mistake, will I regret my decision or will it be one of the best decisions I make. Idk I'm just a bit stressed about it it's something I do want to do and is my own choice. I just need some tips and stuff like that
Have you considered taking a year out ? There is a lot more to university than just the academic side, and living independently and building a social circle with new people, most of whom will be (officially) adults, being able to join clubs and societies, attend social events etc, these should all be part of the package. You need to be happy to do well on a demanding course, and that means getting the social side right as well as just passing the exams.
ATA3453
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
What uni? What course?
How come you've decided to start uni so early?

Tips:
- don't worry! Be open to change and get to know people around you / make friends!
- if you're ever worried speak to your personal tutor.

Good luck!
university of glasgows computing science
uni is always something i have wanted to do and beign able to start slightly early is really exciting to me (although it didn't seem like that in my original post!)

also thanks for the tips
ATA3453
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tenacity Deshad)
How are you applying to uni at under 18. Do you have GCSE’s and a form of Level 3 award already,????
Not sure about the whole of the uk but at least my local authority lets children who are born between dec & feb to skip the 2nd year of nursary and go straight into primary 1 meaning im already 6-8 months younger than everone else
the qualifications thing is a strange one even though it was over a year ago now i started my nat 5's like everyone else in S4 but about 3 weeks in i got phoned down to SMT this was because my admin class was getting disbanded as there was only 3 people left in it after the others dropped out of it so i had to pick a new subject to fill that place the options were things that never appealed to me so the teacher asked about my best subject i said CS and they phoned the CS teacher who said if i wanted i could join the higher class. so now i have 5 nat5's and a higher and im doing the next level of those this year so to answer your question yes by a series of very strange events i should have the qualifications nessisary to get a place at my age by summer. *fingers crossed* (also sorry for the dragged out answer i just thought it needed the explanation)
ella1902
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The issue you might find is friends; you aren’t able to go out with any flatmates/friends drinking or going clubbing and might find yourself feeling isolated. Whilst there are 17year olds anyone 18 or older will probably gravitate more towards people there own age.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ATA3453)
university of glasgows computing science
uni is always something i have wanted to do and beign able to start slightly early is really exciting to me (although it didn't seem like that in my original post!)

also thanks for the tips
Many (most?) new starters at Glasgow (or any Scottish university) will be 17yo so being 16 isn't such a huge difference. You'll be fine.

It would be less common in England.
ATA3453
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
Have you considered taking a year out ? There is a lot more to university than just the academic side, and living independently and building a social circle with new people, most of whom will be (officially) adults, being able to join clubs and societies, attend social events etc, these should all be part of the package. You need to be happy to do well on a demanding course, and that means getting the social side right as well as just passing the exams.
i have considered taking a year out but i decided it wasn't for me, the living at capus thing also isn't for me at the moment luckily enough i live close enough to the school and can travel in. Friends there is a couple of my friends right now who have also applied to the same course and hopefully we will stay friends after secondary school. I am also very happy to do well on the course (i know it doesn't seem that way on my original post but i am incredibly excited, i'm just a very stressed person by nature).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (166)
66.4%
No (84)
33.6%

Watched Threads