The Student Room Group

Foundation year in medicine with a BTEC applied science level 3 and an alevel in chem

Im a student in year 12 studying BTEC extended national diploma level 3 in applied science and i do an A-level in Chemistry. I have an interest in medicine and i was wondering whether universities,like king's college, accept BTEC students who do an A-level in chemistry. If there are universities that do accept,which ones?
thanks
Reply 1
Original post by H__Ally
Im a student in year 12 studying BTEC extended national diploma level 3 in applied science and i do an A-level in Chemistry. I have an interest in medicine and i was wondering whether universities,like king's college, accept BTEC students who do an A-level in chemistry. If there are universities that do accept,which ones?
thanks

A few med schools will accept a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma for standard entry but many need it in addition to 1 or 2 A levels. Those who openly state it is acceptable are
Aston
BSMS (plus chem and bio A levels)
Bristol (plus chem A level)
Exeter (plus chem and bio A levels)
Possibly Lancaster, but not accepted on its own
Leicester (plus chem and bio/science A levels)
Oxford (requirements for an applicant taking BTEC qualifications would typically be:
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science plus 1 A-level
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate or Foundation Diploma in Applied Science plus 2 A-levels (one of which must be in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Mathematics)
Applicants will be required to achieve grades of D*DD or the equivalent)
Plymouth (but applicants required to sit the GAMSAT)
Southampton (plus chem and bio A levels)

Not sure how up to date this is for 2021 entry. This is an unusual set of qualifications to be applying with, so you are best trawling through med school websites and checking what they say. Looks like you may struggle to find 4 choices without biology A level, but if you meet the WP flags, check out Foundation Courses, too.
(edited 4 years ago)
I think Plymouth accept BTEC applicants. I’m in year 13 and I also do the same course and wanted to apply for medicine. But I decided to apply for the physician associate because I release that medicine isn’t something I want to do tbh. Anyway I think Plymouth accept. But there is more courses when I was apply I got atleast 3 to 4 option to do medicine. But due to the BTEC you might also have to do a gateway year
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply