GeriatricDude
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone,
I applied to Bristol uni to study history and am still waiting on a reply back from them. However the typical offer is AAA and I applied with BBB predicted. I suppose what I’m asking is should I bother getting my hopes up waiting around for a potential offer or am I being unrealistic?
Cheers
GDude
Lani_5678
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think it may still be possible for you to get an offer. However id still also apply for a backup option should your first option fall through.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GeriatricDude)
Hi everyone,
I applied to Bristol uni to study history and am still waiting on a reply back from them. However the typical offer is AAA and I applied with BBB predicted. I suppose what I’m asking is should I bother getting my hopes up waiting around for a potential offer or am I being unrealistic?
Cheers
GDude
If they use predicted grades in their assessment, then three grades below offer is likely pushing it a bit. But not all Uni’s do, so if the rest of your application is strong you have a fair chance.

The real issue will come if you get an offer and feel that realistically you will achieve around BBB, because there’s no guarantee you’d be accepted onto the course with that, (although still possible).
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GeriatricDude)
Hi everyone,
Cheers
GDude
GDude, you aimed very high with Bristol. They put a 70% weighting on A level predictions (30% on GCSEs) so I have to say it's looking very risky, unless you qualify for one of thier ABB contextual offers. Anyway, time will tell and it's important to wait to get all your replies back before deciding who to Firm and Insure

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...20/history.pdf
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
GDude, you aimed very high with Bristol. They put a 70% weighting on A level predictions (30% on GCSEs) so I have to say it's looking very risky, unless you qualify for one of thier ABB contextual offers. Anyway, time will tell and it's important to wait to get all your replies back before deciding who to Firm and Insure

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...20/history.pdf
From that document “we recognise that some applicants may achieve higher than their predicted grades, and so we may also consider applicants who are predicted to achieve slightly below the entry requirements (usually in a non-specified subject). Any offer made would be at the standard level.”

Slightly would normally mean 1 or 2 grades. 3 is likely pushing it unless (as you say) OP is eligible for a contextual offer.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Good news: 92% of applicants to history at Bristol get offers https://university.which.co.uk/unive...0-f4bcbdec5030
So they’re a lot less selective than they would like you to think
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
According to the UCAS offer rate calculator it's a 25% chance with BBB although other factors could come into play
GeriatricDude
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you all for the useful replies. I do have insurance options already secured at Cardiff and Sussex, but it was something about the culture of Bristol that really resonated with me. I’ll keep you posted. Ty )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.48%
No (107)
32.52%

Watched Threads