cillabilla
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Planning on studying Politics and International relations because of my genuine passion for it, however....been hearing many stories/tales from people who say its not a good choice in terms of having a safe career bet after uni? what do you guys think?
mattcoolish
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, if you like wearing suits, paper work and being sent to some random country no one knows where, most countrie usually have some sort of shortage of trained diplomats, and I think the UK seems to be one of them. (See, for example: https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ut/recruitment). It’s also a very useful degree if you’re considering a career in politics.

If you feel like it’s not the kind of job for you - you can change to another one, and if you feel like this is really the one and only degree for you, don’t hesitate to pursue a further academic career! If it’s the course of your life, you won’t regret it.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by cillabilla)
Planning on studying Politics and International relations because of my genuine passion for it, however....been hearing many stories/tales from people who say its not a good choice in terms of having a safe career bet after uni? what do you guys think?
Hey cillabilla!

I know from the name of the course people just assume all International Relations/Politics students want to go into politics in some way, usually civil servant or PM.... but as someone who is about to graduate with an IR and Politics degree, I sure don't! :eek:

Like many courses at university, you learn so many transferrable skills that you can take into various careers. Personally I want to go into teaching History, which with my degree I can do so.

Prospects is a really good website that shows different types of jobs that certain degrees can take you into and where your degrees can be useful. For example, for IR it states 'broadcast journalist, solicitor, border force officer, intelligence analyst, etc.' and for Politics, it states 'detective, social researcher, charity officer, stockbroker, market researcher, etc.) There are so many careers that IR and Politics can take you into, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope that helps a little!

Courtney - Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (71)
38.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (28)
15.14%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (8)
4.32%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (20)
10.81%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (21)
11.35%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (18)
9.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
10.27%

Watched Threads